PDA

View Full Version : ive got a problem

maplekid
02-03-2008, 07:44 AM
well i tapped a couple days ago and since then there has been some very warm days and i have yet to see any sap come out of my lines
all my lines have only 5-7 taps
they go into tote
they are defanintly sloped properly but the sap is just sitting in the line.
will i have to vent my lines or something. thanks in advance:confused:

maplecrest
02-03-2008, 07:46 AM
is sap running in your buckets? trees my not be ready

3% Solution
02-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Maplekid,
Just sit back and wait, it will run!
You maybe a bit early yet.
We're not going to tap until February 17th and that depends on the weather.
Our trees don't start running real good until March.
I think it has a bit to do with the angle of the sun, too.
So, just hang in there!!!!

Dave

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Trees and ground are still frozen and not thawing enough to run yet. It is still too early for much to happen. I tapped yesterday and you are quite a bit north of me.

fred
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
im ten minutes northwest of you. it is still too cold.you might get sap by tuesday night.probably a couple weeks early but you will be alright .Patients is the key

maplehound
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Maple kid.
I too have been thinking of tapping. Although I have noticed that it hasn't been as warm as the weather man has been predicting. We will need at least 3 or 4 days above freezing before the gound will thaw enough for us to tap. Just be patient and if you need to get a fix, then stop by my place anytime and we can talk Maple till your heart is content. I believe you are only about a 1/2 hour drive away.

Bob Shields
02-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I see replys from several maple people from Ohio. Can you tell me anything about archangel cpj?
I sent a pm but have not seen any thing from him for two weeks.
I think he is from Ohio also.

Bob

fred
02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
. Can you tell me anything about archangel cpj?

Bob

sorry i dont know him. he has not been on for almost a month

maplekid
02-03-2008, 08:47 PM
i think he lives in loudanville. theres only two close producers to me thats fred and maplehound. but theres a hole bunch of sugarhouses.i was thinking about asking one of them to help me with the tubing but i think there to busy getting ready to make syrup. could i have a natural vaccum situation where its not letting sap out of the line.it was running today but sap was backed up to the taps

maplehound
02-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Maple kid
if the sap is backed up to the tap, that means everything is working good. Don't let any air into the line, it will reduce the flow in the long run.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Trees haven't thawed good enough to push it out. It will happen when the timing is right and the trees are ready!

danno
02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
On a non vented system, even with a good run, the sap appears to move through the lines very slowly. The air bubbles move down the line slowly. Ofcourse, that does not answer your question if you're not getting any sap in your totes. It will come.