PDA

View Full Version : Mainline Memory

SUGARSMITH
02-03-2008, 05:47 AM
I replaced 200 feet of mainline yesterday 1-1/2" black plastic. Does anybody have any trick to get rid of the memory where the ends hook together. I would like to get rid of the natural bend where they hook together. Other than laying the line out in 80 degree weather

gmcooper
02-03-2008, 05:59 AM
I've done it some with a torch. Just keep warming the pipe along the outside of the curve without over heating any one spot. As the pipe gets warm you can work to bend it the opposite direction hold tension on it while it cools. You may not get all of it out but most of it. Our plumber does this also when working with poly pipe. It might take two people.
Mark

maplehound
02-03-2008, 04:19 PM
or try lots of wire ties along that area.

sapman
02-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Something I do when connecting pipes in trenches, which is a lot, is straighten the end for a couple feet, bending it opposite of the memory for several seconds. The longer the better. Then cut off several inches from the end. This definitely helps, though it is temporary, but allows you to make the connection easier. Then I would agree to use lots of ties.

Tim

peacemaker
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
i also use the torch method and then i use wire ties and electrical tape ...

hard maple
02-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't use wire when I hang my mainline
I just tension the main with a come a long
It goes up much faster, no need to buy wire or the ties.
When a tree or branch falls on the line just retighten the line and your good to go.
And it does not sag anymore than when I use to use the wire method.
Does anyone else here use this method??

802maple
02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
I used to have a area that I had to take down the tubing and mainline and didn't use wire and you were right it did stay just as good as what is on wire, but that was short stretches 200 to 300 feet.