PDA

View Full Version : storing sap before processing?

ProBoot
12-13-2023, 09:35 AM
I'm attempting to figure out a way to store some sap for transport from the field to the stainless steel tank I have(1000 gal) and have not been able to really figure out a god option that isn't over $2500 for yet another stainless storage tank.

I have multiple galvanized tanks I was planning on using but with their unknown status of age/condition I scrapped that idea(which is heart breaking as it's 2X 500 Gal tanks).

I've found a few options maybe:
1. Single use food grade storage totes, they are poly with a metal cage around them. 1000l mainly and would use probably 2 total for transporting from different areas
2. Old Whiskey barrels, 200 liters ish. Would need more then a few and uncertain of what the wood would do to the flavor of the sap/syrup.

I will say that this is a SMALL operation, around 40-50 taps TOTAL for now over 8 acres of 90% sugar maples. Small enough that I'm still figuring out what to do about an evaporator and have not made syrup at all but I love the stuff and go through a ton a year.

this of note:
I have a sugar bush building with wood stove and venting purpose built, old evaporator was oil fired and has since been sold off and only oil lines remain
I have tanks and buckets
Some finishing pans and other equipment

Easy access to trees and lots of larger(20" diameter) trees on the property

thanks all.

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-13-2023, 12:31 PM
We used 2 cage totes on a utility trailer for years. Usually only ever filled 1 on collection from 3 different spots but had the 2nd one in case we needed it to avoid having to make a 2nd trip. Not knowing how often you plan to collect, I would think 1 cage tank would be plenty for 40-50 taps. And with 1 you could fit it in the back of a truck if you wanted to. Cage tanks are much more stable than barrels. We use a 525 G poly tank now just because it is easier to clean than the totes are.

For transporting, best to haul any style tank full and avoid having several partially filled tanks. Less sap sloshing around makes for a more stable transport.