PDA

View Full Version : drops and quick connects

MapleCamp
11-25-2023, 06:07 PM
I've seen a few videos of some big producers using quick connects on their drops , collecting them at the end of the season with sprouts on. Do they reuse after washing? Or do they just make new ones with the connect ? What would the benefit be? TIA

Brian
11-26-2023, 05:51 PM
Most don't

maple flats
11-26-2023, 09:47 PM
It would be foolish for a big producer to re-use drops, even when cleaned they would produce less sap, you would be hard pressed to clean them as good as new drops.

ecp
11-27-2023, 06:23 AM
I've seen a few videos of some big producers using quick connects on their drops , collecting them at the end of the season with sprouts on. Do they reuse after washing? Or do they just make new ones with the connect ? What would the benefit be? TIA I heard some of them replace the spout and I've heard of others that replace everything. It really comes down to what works best for you. That is a lot of extra potential leak spots to me.

DrTimPerkins
11-29-2023, 08:22 AM
Most don't

Agreed. Relatively few of the larger producers use quick disconnects and bring drops in to clean. It's just three more possible places for a leak to occur (one at fitting entrance, one at fitting exit, one at the connection point), but also because of the labor involved in removing, cleaning, and returning them to the woods. Some producers use Stubbies and replace adapters annually -- others simply cut off and replace spouts annually and replace drops every few years (3-5 typically). Length of time replacing drops depends largely on whether or not they use CV spouts or CV adapters. Shorter time interval for replacement if not using CVs, longer if they are.

https://mapleresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/mn214drop.pdf

MapleCamp
11-30-2023, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the answers, it seems like a leak nightmare to me. I just can't figure way they would do it.