PDA

View Full Version : New member

foolish one
11-09-2023, 09:35 AM
Hello all.

New member here. I am planning on having about 24-30 taps on pails this 2024 season. I am looking at the Lapierre "barrel" evaporator. I love the vision 18x48, but I think, at least for now I will go with the barrel unit. I really like the "Thor" brand, but there is no dealer, where as Lapierre has a dealer close to me, and they have a good reputation in the area.

nhdog
11-09-2023, 09:48 AM
welcome to the group. nice to see someone else from n.s. there use to 5 or 6 guys a few years back but have seam to dropped off buy the wayside.

Andy VT
11-09-2023, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the group! We don't have new people get through new member approval very often. Any secrets to making it happen that I could pass along to others who have given up trying? This is still the best place to get reliable advice and info and discuss things in a civil manner! I'm glad you mentioned the Lapierre "the barrel" because I've never heard of it and it checks a lot of boxes for me, so I've now asked for a quote from my nearest dealer, although I probably will be on my old propane setup for this year. Is this your first year or are you expanding?

maple flats
11-09-2023, 05:07 PM
Welcome aboard, you will have loads of fun, start small and grow only as fast as you are comfortable doing.
Tell us a little about your self. As long as you are interested in making maple syrup, you are not foolish. The foolish ones are those who want to start but keep making excuses one after another!

foolish one
11-09-2023, 06:30 PM
Hello all.

I am brand new to making syrup. There are lots of guys in the area doing it, some like me with only a few taps and others with many thousands. One of the main reasons I am getting into syrup making is to give me syrup for my coffee. I love black coffee with a bit of syrup. Cheaper and easier to just buy it, but Foolish me decided to try making it. This also gives me a reason to get out of my chair and into the woods. As much as I enjoy my chair, I am happier and healthier in the woods.

I built the camp 16x20 mostly last year, and have it pretty much done now.

I just purchased two 50 gal barrels with large screw off lids for sap. I was going to purchase a new plastic tank until I read threads here stating to just get used food grade barrels and clean them. I have learned a lot reading old threads here.

I plan on using pails. I can get pails and lids from my dealer cheaper than I could get the bag set ups on line. I thought about 5 gal buckets, but unless I tie them to the tree I am worried they would tip over from animals or snow melting.

I was almost going to wait until the 2025 season to make syrup, but between lumber ends and fire wood from making the road to the camp site. I almost have no end to fire wood, and need to start burning it.

I doubt I will have much to offer other than 35+ years as a mechanic who is good at detailed observations and reports.

So as stated, this whole two plus year venture; logging, sawmilling, road building, camp building, woodlot thinning, etc. Is just to give me syrup for my morning coffee.🤷*♂️

30AcreWoods
11-10-2023, 04:09 PM
Welcome! What a great introduction. Your point about getting into the woods and being healthy is well stated...at a time of year around here when a lot of people are suffering from "cabin fever", we are going like gangbusters to be ready for the first runs of the season. Your plan sounds well thought out. I know quite a few folks use 5-gallon buckets without too much trouble, if that helps you at all. It seems you've caught the maple bug, and as Dave noted, my main piece of advice is to grow as comfortably as possible. There is a lot of sound advice here that should make things smooth for you.

220 maple
11-12-2023, 03:46 AM
Foolish one,
Congratulations on getting started, perfect username for this site! Being this will be my 26th year coming up there has been times I considered myself foolish. Another plus for you, being a mechanic with attention for detail! You will discover different ways to make things better, my neighborhood helper for 20 years before his passing was a mechanic, some of the best ideas for improvement came directly from him. I predict you will do great, don’t hesitate to share your progress on this site! The best part of Mapletrader is we pull for one another!
Mark220maple