PDA

View Full Version : tubing phone app?

goldnut
10-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Is there a phone app that anyone uses to plot trees then mark out lines? Would be nice to figure out how much tubing I need?

darkmachine
10-21-2023, 03:02 PM
the GPS on a smartphone has a margin of error of about 16 feet, more if you are in a heavily forested area. an app might get you in the ballpark, but it wouldn't be super accurate. We have no cell service in our sugar bush so we flagged our trees and then walked the path of our mainline with a measuring wheel. It took a fair bit of sketching but it worked our really well and we had the right amount of tubing. If you have access to commercial surveying equipment you could mark each tree but that stuff is $$$

mainebackswoodssyrup
10-21-2023, 08:05 PM
OnXHunt is probably the best app out there I know of. It does require a subscription. I use it a lot for maple, hunting, ATV’s……basically anything outdoors. It has a tracking feature where you could walk main lines and get pretty accurate readings. Before that, we used Garmin GPS to map everything.

goldnut
10-22-2023, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a garmin Etrex but wasnt sure I could download that to my computer. I will check that out. We are going to brush hog tomorrow then mark trees. This should help me see better to mark out where the lines will go.

mainebackswoodssyrup
10-22-2023, 07:24 PM
It’s been a few years so I would have to mess with it to know how I did, what I did, with my Garmin Rino. But I took the GPS tracks and waypoints and imported them into Google Earth. Set the scale I wanted and made some nice maps that way.
Might be able to do a trial for OnX as well to see how you like it.

goldnut
10-22-2023, 08:03 PM
I dug out my old Garmin Etrex and Im going to give that a try. I am not tech savvy at all but I will do what I can. I see that I can put a micro sd card in it and I can also hook a USB to my computer. Maybe at that point I can figure out the distances. Thanks Ken

darkmachine
10-23-2023, 07:13 PM
If you can get your lat/long off your gps for each tree or point you mark, you can input them in to google maps, or any other map software that allows you to set points and measure or draw lines. We used the coordinates from the surveyor on all the pins they set, pretty neat.