PDA

View Full Version : first time using tubing

CTguy923
10-05-2023, 10:22 AM
so this year will be our first attempt at a tubing system at one of our property's, i plan on sing 3/16th with 5/16th drops...so my question is , do they make a tool that does both 3/16th and 5/16th ?? or will i need two seperate tools ?, thanks

30AcreWoods
10-05-2023, 11:26 AM
I have a similar setup and with the adjustment on my tool, I've had no issues using it for both tubing sizes, but I only have 200+/- taps and if you have a lot more, specific tools for each size are likely advantageous. I'm sure there are folks on here with a ton more experience that have a more elegant solution.

CTguy923
10-06-2023, 12:15 PM
i,m probably going to have right around 200 taps myself, at least for this coming season

Brian
10-06-2023, 05:40 PM
A friend of mine uses the 5/16 tool with zip ties around the ends to do the 3/16 tubing and said it works great.

Pdiamond
10-06-2023, 08:02 PM
I purchased the tubing tools that Maple Tech Tools sells. They are about half the price of anyone else and work good. I am not mechanically inclined with a welder to make my own tubing tool.

SeanD
10-07-2023, 09:13 AM
I stole and modified this idea from someone else:

I have a 5/16" 2-hand tool. For 3/16" tubing, I cut a 2" piece of 5/16" tubing the long way and insert the pieces into the tubing grips in the vice. They are held in place by elastic bands. Between the downsizing of the vice grip and the friction of the elastic bands, I can insert a drop in a tight 3/16" lateral.

Pros - Quick, Free
Cons - Cold temps and sharp edges on the vice grip can snap the elastic bands. You have to keep an eye on it and carry extras with you.

A nice LOAC 3/16" tool is on my wish list, but until then it's the McGyver Method.

Sean

CTguy923
10-07-2023, 11:26 AM
I purchased the tubing tools that Maple Tech Tools sells. They are about half the price of anyone else and work good. I am not mechanically inclined with a welder to make my own tubing tool.

same here, i have no welding experience at all, i'll look into the Maple Tech tools, thank you

bmbmkr
10-10-2023, 06:36 AM
https://bascommaple.com/collections/mainline/products/tfm1a

I bought a single side 5/16 tool a couple years before i moved home and started mapling. In that time I learned about 3/16 and how much of a benefit 3/16 is on hillsides, which we have. When I finally got to puttin up tubing, I used a piece of 5/16 slit longways like SeanD mentioned. A couple years and thousands of fittings later, I bought a couple of these used.

https://www.rothsugarbush.com/product/3-16-compact-insertion-pliers/

https://www.rothsugarbush.com/product/compact-insertion-pliers/

I'm not sure if the ones I have are 3/16 or 5/16. but they work for both sizes. I would have saved hundreds of man hours had I had this tool first. I also got a LOAC tool when I bought the lot of used tools, and I sold them, I wasn't impressed except how light it was.

https://bascommaple.com/products/tubth

This is also a must have with a single tool, when cutting in drops on tensioned line. The first few years I used paracord and a couple a wood working spring clamps and spent a lot of time chasin the end of my tubing up and down steep hills. This thing is up there with sliced bread.

I use 5/6 drops on my 3/16 laterals and the compact tools really shine. A double tool may be a bit faster, but I'm pretty quick with these and they are versatile and small. I do miss the flare function on my old single 5/16 tool, , but I carry a small punch in case I need to open up the end of the tubing a little bit.

maple flats
10-10-2023, 09:51 AM
I do the same, 5/16 drops into 3/16 laterals, I have both tools, but I most often just use my older version LOAC tool, a quick adjustment and it works for both, that way I only need to carry 1 tool.
If your tool is too hard to adjust quickly, just take a bunch of drops, adjust it for 5/16 and attach the Tee, then adjust the tool for 3/16 and run your lines. That way you will only need to adjust at the end tree, after that you will only be connecting 3/16 tubing to each end of the Tee. I usually do it that way because it saves time.

CTguy923
10-10-2023, 10:52 AM
I do the same, 5/16 drops into 3/16 laterals, I have both tools, but I most often just use my older version LOAC tool, a quick adjustment and it works for both, that way I only need to carry 1 tool.
If your tool is too hard to adjust quickly, just take a bunch of drops, adjust it for 5/16 and attach the Tee, then adjust the tool for 3/16 and run your lines. That way you will only need to adjust at the end tree, after that you will only be connecting 3/16 tubing to each end of the Tee. I usually do it that way because it saves time.

thats kinda what i was thinking, make up all my drops ahead of time with the spout and tee's put on, that way i,m only dealing with the 3/16ths part of the equation

SeanD
10-10-2023, 07:44 PM
The two-hand one-belly tool is a must for cutting in drops. Having a flare is really important too esp working with 3/16. For the last few years as a little cheat move, I've cut out the drops on the last barb, so that a little bit of the old fitting is still in the end of the line. It either falls out or I fish it out and it keeps the flare from the barb. The new fitting goes in nicely. The down side to that is I know i'm leaving little bits of plastic in the woods.

30AcreWoods
10-10-2023, 08:37 PM
I agree...I make all my drops ahead of time, inside where it is warm. Also, for the little tubing involved, having clean drops and new taps makes a large difference in sap production vs. leaving in drops for multiple seasons - I think the studies by Cornell and UVM back that up.