PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood Stacks - Combining runs before exiting the roof.

bryankloos
09-25-2023, 11:41 AM
Hello All,

I have a new rig that I am starting to set up, and I have questions.

I have 2 hoods, one on the raised flue pan and another on the finishing pan. They each have an 8" vent hole.
My question is how and where to connect the two before going through the roof with a single penetration.
For ease of install and space I'd like to go straight up about 4 feet into the loft with both pipes (2 holes through the ceiling), run the front (finisher) to a 90 and connect to the flue with a tee.
This would allow a straight run up and out for the flue pan, which I suspect will produce more steam.

Another idea would be to run a 45 from the front hood to a 45 wye meeting the straight run up from the flue pan. This would eliminate a horizontal run and keep things moving up versus sideways.

What do you guys do, and what works?

Thanks

Bryan

30AcreWoods
10-03-2023, 11:12 PM
I opted for two vertical stacks, two roof penetrations, two roof jacks and two top hats. That said, I didn't really have the room to combine the two steam stacks. My engineering brain tells me the 45 with a wye is a better option if you only want one penetration. Just make sure the purely vertical run is from the evaporator pan as that's where the vast majority of your steam will come from.

I am really curious to hear if anyone has used an inline duct fan on their steam stacks, and if it had any measurable impact on evaporation rates.