PDA

View Full Version : Digital Refractometer Comparison

DRoseum
09-23-2023, 05:50 PM
Looking for insight on 2 digital refractometers and perspective on which is best. Has anyone used both? There is decent price difference and wondering if it's worth it:

Misco eMaple $470: https://www.misco.com/product/maple-syrup-refractometer-brix-sugar-emaplef/

Hanna HI96801 $231:
https://www.hannainst.com/hi96801-digital-refractometer-for-brix-analysis.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmICoBhDxARIsABXkXlIRw3 we3r_4VkiIlfVA_yrjYAZi9UpmanMMn8f1pjXWQGQhha8TbeUa Ag2jEALw_wcB

Truartcle
09-24-2023, 08:09 AM
I purchased a Milwaukee MA871 a few years back and love it. I've never had any issues with it. It's on amazon for about 145.00. It looks a lot like the Hanna HI96801.

maple flats
09-24-2023, 08:36 AM
I just use the Murphy cup and gold series hydrometer, never had any issue. For sap I use a long sap hydrometer.

DRoseum
09-24-2023, 09:31 AM
I have a murphy cup and "certified" gold series hydrometer and recently discovered it is off by almost 1 brix by testing with multiple refractometers used to judge competitions.

The hydrometer red line scale indicator is intact - the scale has not moved amd hydrometer is not damaged - just way off.

Looking for another method in addition to hydrometer/Murphy cup and optical refractometer.

DrTimPerkins
09-24-2023, 04:38 PM
https://mapleresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/1215refractometercomparison.pdf

Bricklayer
09-24-2023, 05:14 PM
I’ve never liked the digital refractometers. I’ve had both and sold both. I never trusted it.
The Murphy cup is great but you have to calibrate it every year at least. They have a guide to do it on their website.
It tells you what temperature it should be reading at a certain brix on the dial. I usually have to tweak mine every year.
I usually try to calibrate it to the 212 mark. So i boil a big pot of water. And then fill the Murphy cup. Dump it out. Full it again and dump it. Then fill it again and see where the dial is. If it’s off I adjust with the screws on the back.

DRoseum
09-24-2023, 06:01 PM
https://mapleresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/1215refractometercomparison.pdf

Thank you Dr. Tim! Great research article!

Kh7722
09-25-2023, 07:52 PM
Hydrometer is the best way to go, especially when dealing with hot syrup. Use the chart to adjust brix based on temp. Digital units dont work well with hot syrup, especially for almost 500$ its a waste, 30$ buy a new hydrometer yearly.

SeanD
09-25-2023, 10:18 PM
Thanks for posting this question. I've been thinking about digital refractometers recently. I really like using the Hannah Checker for grading syrup and it would be nice to have something quick and accurate like that for checking density. It's true the hydrometer is the best bet for hot syrup. I have an optical refractometer that's no use there and the hydrometer along with the temperature compensation charts and corrections tables get the job done accurately and fairly quickly.

Aside from finishing the syrup, though there are a lot of times where the digital refractometer would be a good option. I check the density of raw sap, after the first pass, and then the second pass. I also check the density when I open my bulk containers before bottling all year long. I also keep bees, so having something for honey would be nice, too. Most of my density checks aren't with hot liquids.

It's not a refractometer vs. hydrometer question for me. I'll use both. Back to the OP - does anyone have input on the Misco vs. the Hannah? At half the price, does the Hannah hold up to the Misco accuracy?

johnallin
09-26-2023, 05:56 PM
Thanks for posting this question….. Back to the OP - does anyone have input on the Misco vs. the Hannah? At half the price, does the Hannah hold up to the Misco accuracy?

I can’t speak for the Hanna but I’ve had a Misco for 12 years now. One big difference is the Misco has a cap to cover the prison where as the Hanna looks like it’s open. Keeping it covered minimizes evaporation of the sample and a truer reading.
Also from my experience in competition, the readings I get on entries never vary more than .01% from what judges grade at. I think in this case you get what you paid for, applies. Hot syrup out of the bottler needs 1-2 minutes to settle for a good reading, room temp is much shorter. I’d recommend the Mksco.

SeanD
09-26-2023, 07:02 PM
Thanks, John. How do you clean out the well where the sample drops go? Does the whole stainless piece lift out of the reader?

johnallin
09-26-2023, 07:57 PM
I clean it with a shot of water then some IPA from a small spray bottle...it needs to be perfectly clean to get an accurate reading.
The only moving part on it is the hinged lid/cover for the prism.

Swingpure
09-29-2023, 06:25 PM
It won’t be a popular answer, but I liked the optical refractometers for a hobbyist. I let the hot syrup cool for about 10 seconds before measuring the sugar content. I would shoot for 67 Brix and later when I would open a bottled, obviously cooled down syrup, I would get the same reading. People would always tell me it was the best syrup they ever tasted.

I have to say, I did not trust a single reading, I would normally check it about three times, to make sure the Brix was what I wanted.

That was my experience with refractometers and it worked for me.

SeanD
11-26-2023, 06:27 AM
I ended up going with the Misco. I was leaning that way then I found it a little less expensive here and that sealed the deal.
https://selectumllc.com/i/Misco-PA202X-304-305

I'd still be interested in hearing about people's experience with the Hannah, though.

johnallin
11-26-2023, 05:27 PM
I think you’re going to be very happy with the Misco.
Great Ohio company with excellent customer service.
Just give it a minute or so with hot syrup off the bottler.
Room temp it’ll be spot on, it’s what most judges use in syrup competition.
Nice job.

DrTimPerkins
11-29-2023, 08:36 AM
We've used about every type of refractometer you can imagine, but for the past 10 yrs have standardized on the Misco. Most of these devices are good and work well, but like any tool, they should be used appropriately. Done incorrectly, any refractometer will give erroneous readings. People have a tendency to accept results from a digital tool without question.

The main thing is that the sap or syrup needs to come to thermal equilibrium with the device. Measuring cold sap or hot syrup can lead to errors if not allowed to warm or cool to the device temperature.

The Misco has a couple of features that make it a bit better. The larger well size, a sapphire prism (instead of glass or plastic), the sample cover, and an (optional, but highly recommended) rubber case all make it the better choice in my opinion, although that comes at a higher price. It's also a good size to hold in your hand and also to fit in your pocket (Hannah is a bit too big, PAL-Maple by Atago is a bit too small, MISCO is just right).

That said, we have broken several of the units over the years, either by dropping them (hence my recommendation to get the rubber case) or by the seal going bad around the sample well (it's real hard on the device to go from boiling hot syrup to cold syrup...the seal gives up after a while). Of course, our units are worked pretty hard and tend to spend a lot of time banging around in our pockets and are in daily use (sometimes for dozens of measurements daily over the entire season).

We've used pretty much all the others. They will function just fine and give decent readings if used correctly. The primary benefit of those is lower cost. If they're mostly sitting in your sugarhouse or kitchen and get used only a few times each week, then with care to take measurements correctly (let temperature equilibrate), any of the units should work.