PDA

View Full Version : Mainline and tubing

Brian
09-11-2023, 07:57 PM
Well I pulled a little under 1500 ft of wire and 3/4 mainline on saturday with my lovely wife, we are getting ready to run new tubing. We split a few older mainlines to make the tubing runs shorter. I hope to get all the tubing installed before this comming season. I have about 800 taps to replace. It took most of my spare time this summer to cut all the dead trees and brush. I went through about 18 gallons of gas and almost 2 new chain saw chains. Most of that tubing was put in in 2009, the bottom 2 main lines were put in in 2002. so it is time.

Brian
09-25-2023, 02:52 AM
All the new saddles are installed,wire ties and tie backs are done and the tubing is up.I ran 34 rolls of 30p max flow. Now just drops left and walk the rest of the woods. I have not been back since I pulled taps so I hope they are not to beat up to bad. I run about 4600 taps and that is as big as I want to get. I wish to bulk price would go up to atleast 3.00 a pound because it makes it hard to up grade stuff. All of my equipment are starting to get older and I like to up grade things once in awhile.

Brian
10-04-2023, 05:56 PM
Done!!! The drops are all in and the final count is 921 and at 34 rolls of max flow that is 27.088 taps per roll. Glen goodrich said that you should average 27 taps per roll and we did. Now to get the rest up and ready. I guess Glen Goodrich is going to start changing his spouts in the fall and just tap in the spring. I have every thing on stobby spouts now so the ends are not abig deal any way. The old ones are removed when we wash our pipe line in the spring any ways.

DrTimPerkins
10-04-2023, 08:49 PM
I guess Glen Goodrich is going to start changing his spouts in the fall and just tap in the spring.

He pays attention to UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr findings.

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/timing0921/

Just deploy the spouts and/or drops AFTER the weather turns cold. Mostly freezing or below temps.

Newest findings (will be out soon in The Maple News) is that it doesn’t seem to matter if you plug spouts or drops after pulling spouts or just let them dangle unplugged.

darkmachine
10-04-2023, 10:16 PM
plugging the drops does keep the mud daubers from filling them up though, lol

collinsmapleman2012
10-05-2023, 07:30 AM
plugging them back in also seems to help keep the chews down. i had one woods that the deer wrecked half the drops chewing on them when they were hanging, the looped ones seem to be less likely to be chewed on. not sure why. also keeps them up away from foxes/coyotes playing with them/chewing.