PDA

View Full Version : Sensor detects sap that produces off flavor syrup

DaveB
06-16-2023, 10:05 AM
I thought this was interesting:

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v16/100

A researcher developed a sensor that will detect changes in a drop of sap and using that they predicted what batches would have off flavors. I thought I would share if anyone didn't see that. I wonder when we'll see a commercial application with that? Could be handy....

220 maple
06-17-2023, 03:04 AM
Research group at a Canadian University has come up with away to test for buddy and metabolism in sap! There is two American groups working on a test to detect micro bacteria that causes ropey syrup, both items are needed bad in the southern maple regions, because of climate change! Their I said it! Another argument for another day, from what I’ve heard test kits maybe be available for next season, have not heard a price yet. If the kit can detect metabolism that will remove a lot of bad syrup from the market.
Mark220maple

DaveB
06-17-2023, 10:41 AM
both items are needed bad in the southern maple regions, because of climate change! Their I said it! Another argument for another day, from what I’ve heard test kits maybe be available for next season, have not heard a price yet. If the kit can detect metabolism that will remove a lot of bad syrup from the market.
Mark220maple

I think tests like this could be useful anywhere. Ropey and buddy syrup can happen everywhere but yeah, it will be a useful tool, if the price is right. I know some producers won't care about buddy syrup because packers will still blend it but for those of us looking to make quality syrup, this could help.