PDA

View Full Version : small qty bulk sales

tcross
05-10-2023, 11:10 AM
For those of you who sell a small amount bulk, where do you/who do you sell it to? i usually have between 2 to 4, 40gal barrels that another producer has been taking for me and selling it with his. he boils off of 10-15,000 taps. while this has been working for me, it seems as though it's probably a p.i.t.a for him... although he says it isn't. i'd rather sell my product direct to the buyer myself so i'm not inconveniencing him. i've called a hand full of bulk buyers and they aren't really interested in buying a couple of barrels from a small producer. there has to be a few places that would buy good syrup in smaller quantities... right?

Potters3
05-10-2023, 01:18 PM
I sell to Bascom in NH. He will usually buy from smaller guys. Usually if I sell bulk it is 2-4 barrels. You deliver to him in NH and walk out with a check. Usually I do some shopping too.

wiam
05-11-2023, 10:12 PM
I have not had a problem taking 3 or 4 40s to Bascom’s. They do require to call ahead to set up a dock time.

tcross
05-12-2023, 06:32 AM
I haven't tried Bascoms. i've been trying outfits closer to me. It's a bit of a drive for me, but would certainly be worth it. Thanks for the info guys. it's very much appreciated!

NhShaun
05-12-2023, 09:23 AM
Give Bascoms a try and you can do some shopping for next season.

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-12-2023, 10:55 AM
Give Bascoms a try and you can do some shopping for next season.

Ya, the boys at Bascom ain't dumb. Pretty good chance you will do some shopping while there :D

maple flats
05-12-2023, 06:03 PM
I drove to Bascoms a few times to sell bulk back in my early days before I had enough customers. I drove there from much farther away than you would be, I'm half way between Syracuse and Utica, NY.
Since my sales got as good as they are I have only sold bulk if I had extra dark or commercial, for the lighter grdes, especially Amber and dark I sell all of my production, and because I do, I'll be getting back into producing again, hopefully in 2024.

Pdiamond
05-12-2023, 06:39 PM
Dave, That is really good to hear. Are you going to buy a smaller rig since you sold your large one?

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-12-2023, 08:33 PM
I drove to Bascoms a few times to sell bulk back in my early days before I had enough customers. I drove there from much farther away than you would be, I'm half way between Syracuse and Utica, NY.
Since my sales got as good as they are I have only sold bulk if I had extra dark or commercial, for the lighter grdes, especially Amber and dark I sell all of my production, and because I do, I'll be getting back into producing again, hopefully in 2024.

That is great to hear Dave. Sounds like your health must be improving. That’s great news.

TapTapTap
05-14-2023, 06:17 AM
You could try holding on to the syrup until later in the year when packers might be more eager to pay more than the current rate. The spring rate seems to have nothing to do with supply and demand. Assuming that supply will dwindle by the end of the year could get you another 0.20 to 0.40 per pound- or not.

Ken