PDA

View Full Version : Lunch box releaser users: Question

DMF
04-20-2023, 10:15 AM
I don't have electric in my sugar bush so I have been using lunchbox releasers (4 so far) to get some vacuum on my lines. Has anyone ever used theirs with a mainline? All of my lines are currently 3/16 and I have 4 running to pump 1, 3 running to pump 2, 3 running to pump 3 and 7 running to pump 4. I try to balance the runs so I don't exceed 100 taps on any one pump.

I have a new section of woods to tap that will add another 40-50 taps. This area has much less slope. There is a creek bed that I was thinking of running some sort of mainline along and then running laterals to it. Any thoughts?

Bricklayer
04-20-2023, 08:34 PM
I had one years ago that I used.
As you know they do not deal well with leaks and your compressor will be screaming all night when a leak is introduced to the system.
I tried using a short piece of mainline about 25’ long with mine and I just ended up going back to using just 5/16 line everywhere and having it come to a short 5’ piece of mainline with each line comming into it and having it slope to the mainline.
The way the lunchbox works is similar to the way natural vacuum works on 3/16. If there is liquid in the line the pump pulls it and creates a vacuum. If the lines are dry it takes a long time and a lot of that little pump cycling like crazy to create a vacuum just in the 5/16 let alone a big run of mainline. Throw 1 leak in there and your whole system is just a gravity system.