PDA

View Full Version : Another sap ladder question

ennismaple
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I've built a few sap ladders over the past couple years and I like how they perform. I need to put one in quite close to our releaser in our new bush and I don't want to cut in a combination and reducing tee with a 6-way star like I've used in the past as it will not be at the end of the line. There are a lot of taps upstream of that point and I want to ensure good vaccum transfer.

Can I use 3 double saddle manifolds instead of the 6-way star with combination and reducing tee? I can't see a reason why it won't work...

mountainvan
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I have quite a few places that the mainline is 10+ feet up and i have mini ladders. Manifold on the mainline t's down below. Using the manifold like a star would work, but the bottom one would have the hole drilled on the bottom of the tubing. I would be concerned that ice in the line could loosen the manifold causing leakage.

ennismaple
02-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I do plan to put a combination 90 degree bend and reducer on the bottom with a 6-way star - I'm more concerned about the vacuum transfer in the upper mainline and that's why I want to use the saddle manifolds at the top instead of the insert that's threaded for the 6-way. I was thinking that perhaps all 6 lines coming together at an upper 6-way star would somehow result in different vacuum transfer that 3 double saddle manifolds on the top mainline.

Any thoughts or experiences?

mountainvan
02-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't see why it would make a difference. Three 5/16 holes vs one 1/2 hole. I'd go with the star, it's cheaper.

royalmaple
02-02-2008, 06:36 AM
I've never tried it but I might at some point. I was going to take a piece of mainline and leap frog the sap ladder down to the lower mainline to get good vacuum transfer to the lower line ahead of the ladder. Only thing I question is would this "rob" the vacuum from the ladders and not have them work as efficiently. Path of least resistance type of thing.

I've definately got some opportunities down the road to experiment. All the latteral mainlines will come into the wet / dry lines via a ladder of some sort. Highest one is probably 12'.

YOu got to be kidding, I had all the little lines and angles showing land and mainline, then saved it and it's all in a pile now. That stinks. Took a while to use the limited drawing tools on a keyboard with "-" and "|" and "\"

maplecrest
02-02-2008, 06:54 AM
one thought, i have a set up like you want to do.i have a problem with the lower line flooding, and not working with out hiking in there and draining it. a larger pipe the last three feet of the line top and bottom. like a horizonal booster. for the vac to move around in to draw the sap up is what i am going to do for this year. i use the blue 4 way inserts on the top line "lamb" one line for ten taps. so one 4 way is 40 taps. then a 6 way star upside down on the bottom