PDA

View Full Version : Mason Evaporator door insulation

berkshires
04-14-2023, 08:42 AM
After a season and a half using my Mason (which I love) the insulation in the door has gotten pretty beat up, and it's starting to leak smoke out the edges. Anyone else who's used theirs longer - what did you do?

Did you have to cut the bolts off with an angle grinder and buy new ones? Or could you unscrew the nuts and then reuse them?

Did you buy two inch thick insulation, or just put some thinner insulation behind the existing insulation to push it out a bit more to make better contact?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Gabe

aamyotte
04-14-2023, 04:09 PM
I would try your second option to thicken the insulation at the contact point on the perimeter. It would be much simpler than replacing the entire insulation.

Pdiamond
04-14-2023, 08:10 PM
On my smoky lake door I used a pair of locking pliers and turned the bolts out, they turned out surprisingly easy. Then replaced all of the insulation and new bolts only I went to my local hardware store and bought stainless steel hardware in place of just regular steel bolts and washers. Cost was a little bit more but they are all still there after two years.