PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Walnut Syrup

220 maple
04-06-2023, 09:36 PM
Walnut syrup season ended around the same time as maple season, there is so much not known about walnut syrup! I’ve carried a bottle around unsealed for a year now, never molds, taste the same as if it was made yesterday day! Also the pectin that is skimmed from the filter paper is selling for 320 dollars a gallon, of coarse the syrup is selling for 6 dollars a ounce, or 768 a gallon! Those that have tried the all natural walnut pectin report that joint pain is going away, my 83 year old mother in law is convinced it helps her ability to walk without a cane, another lady who at one time was a concert pianist, and had to quit due to finger joint pain is playing again, her husband had made a little Walnut syrup and she tried the pectin, now he has apparently asked the largest walnut producer to name his price for walnut pectin! I know some walnut producers that strive to not produce any pectin! My way of thinking 768 plus 320, you don’t have to make much to gross a nice payday
Mark220maple

220 maple
12-23-2023, 05:16 AM
We was doing some calculating on the amount of walnut syrup
Sold and the return on investment, my friend who I helped
get started tapping his 10 acres of walnut trees, he invested right around
14000 dollars, for everything, new small Propane NexGen evaporator,
he sold 17.5 gallons, largest size 8 ounce bottles, for 6 dollars and ounce!
2240 ounces times 6 ($13440) As the leader of the free world would say
Man I’m not kidding. That is good return on and investment
Mark220maple

220 maple
12-23-2023, 05:41 AM
2024 season is just around the corner! Being I’m sorta down and out with a serious illness, I have folks, family and friends that have volunteered too help, so with fingers crossed and prayers, I plan on showing my 4 year granddaughter where maple syrup comes from! She has my syrup on her pancakes, her parents tells her every time it’s gramps maple syrup, so planning to tap third week in January
Mark220maple

darkmachine
12-23-2023, 12:02 PM
I noticed that on the WVMSPA Facebook page they mentioned you might need a hand come time to tap. I am going to assume a late January early February tap-in. I might be available since you aren't too far out. As long as I get all my chores done, lol. I am still trying to get my new sugar house up before the season starts. Hope your health improves quickly!!

220 maple
12-23-2023, 07:33 PM
Darkmachine,
Yes Dr. Rechlin is organizing a tapping crew to tap around third weekend in January, we have already had
some nice cold temps and I suspect if someone would have been tapped they could have made syrup before Christmas, I know they have two laterals line they want to tap early at my friend Gary Mongold’s walnut bush, after testing the walnut syrup they have discovered that it has two characteristics that maple doesn’t have, 1st it is loaded with anti microbial properties therefore it doesn’t mold very easily, 2nd it’s also overloaded with anti inflammatory phenol’s, that is why Gary has created a customer base of folks with Gout, and Arthritis. They swear it helps them! Gary himself suffered with Gout, has not had one gout out break for a year and a half now!
Mark220maple