PDA

View Full Version : Fill stop for canning build?

Rselleck91
04-06-2023, 08:19 PM
Anyone build a fill stop for a caner? I see leaders and the valve part is easy just curios if anyone’s got a control setup for it. Thanks

Brian
04-07-2023, 10:34 AM
Leader don't build them any more. I guess the guy that built them passed away. I hope they start back up building them. I have 3 of them.

craigwade2005
04-19-2023, 02:22 PM
I was looking at possibly putting together some sort of overflow filling station. The valve alone was over $400 which hurts a little. I wouldn't mind finding a used fill stop.

DMF
04-20-2023, 09:52 AM
Fill stop...? Do you mean klike their new "Handy Filler"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLSbnp_Pnos

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-20-2023, 10:50 AM
Fill stop...? Do you mean klike their new "Handy Filler"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLSbnp_Pnos

Not nearly as convenient as their old fill stop stop was and it wastes a little bit of syrup each bottle, but I guess it's something

DMF
04-21-2023, 07:07 AM
Not nearly as convenient as their old fill stop stop was and it wastes a little bit of syrup each bottle, but I guess it's something

I don't know what the old fill stop was...? Does anyone have photos/video of one?

Also, just a question: why do you feel the new system wastes syrup?

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-21-2023, 12:14 PM
The old style fill stop would have mounted to a bottling pan. You may be able to google it. You would calibrate it for the bottles you were filling to get a consistent amount each time. This new style is an improvement in the sense it lets you go to different bottle sizes without have to do any sort of recalibration. But seems silly, if I’m bottling pints, quarts and some glass I would usually do all of each one then move on the next one. I say it wastes syrup, cause you suck until it’s full, then a little overage each time goes into the mason jar. You could reuse that syrup, sure- but in the next batch because it won’t keep heat. To each their own, this contraption just seems like a little more hassle than it’s worth, but that’s just my opinion. I’m not sure why Leader did away with the old stop. Probably a lack of interest vs. cost like anything.

DMF
04-21-2023, 02:16 PM
I just Googled it and I see what you mean. I can see that it would be very helpful during bottling.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-21-2023, 03:18 PM
I just Googled it and I see what you mean. I can see that it would be very helpful during bottling.

They were pretty pricey. Every now and then you can find one for sale. There was one in the classifieds on here a few years back. I was 2 hours too late, but almost had it!

DRoseum
04-21-2023, 08:11 PM
Seems like the fill stop valve would be very easy to build with a GRL8-02 level controller, a solenoid, and a magnetic safety power switch. I built something identical to this to turn my natural gas off automatically when I get below a certain level of sap in my head tank. It wont reopen valve if more sap flows in because of the safety start/stop switch. Would just need to switch the logic on controller.

I also built a vacuum filler nearly identical to their original vacuum filler and this new handy filler. I love it for VERY SMALL glass bottles, especially the leafs. The vacuum ensures they are filled (even the nooks) without having to tilt bottles. You get really good at breaking vacuum right in time so nothing is sucked into that overflow jar. How the flow stops instantly is awesome.

DMF
04-08-2024, 07:08 AM
Looks like Leader/H2O heard our requests: https://bascommaple.com/collections/gas-filtration/products/vfilstop