PDA

View Full Version : Getting the itch

mikek101
02-01-2008, 04:04 AM
I realize I'm still new at this, this will be my 4th season, but it seems the weather is perfect around me for tapping. It has been 30-40's day and 20's night. Am I being foolish?

softmaple
02-01-2008, 07:02 AM
well im getting the itch too. down here in agawam the weather has been good. but it looks like the weather is going to get a little cooler a week out and my thought is that the roots are still frozen so there wont be much sap movement quite yet. so im going to my tubing up and prep the hut.

royalmaple
02-01-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm not sure but I think Rite Aid has some cream for that itch. Might have a spray foam too. Just trying to help you guys stay comfortable.

You set yourself up for that one.

:-)

softmaple
02-01-2008, 07:30 AM
i think its called maple cream. this itch has been it works for 10 months, its only getting worse.

peacemaker
02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
the itch it only doent each for about well idont know when it doesnt itch my wife says can u not think about suagring we drive and i get a stiff neck from wrencing around looking at trees or tap lines or hey there is a sugar shack...

NedL
02-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Couldn't resist last night. I put 4 taps in just to see. Yep, flashlight drill and hammer at 10:00pm.

cropseyvillemark
02-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Mike, where are you running tubing? Did you move?

MR Electrician
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
i get that itch every 20 days when im on turn around it gets really bad in the plane on the way home i guess thats why they give us the ugly flight attendants and make us wear the seatbelts all the way home.

ok now remember i work in the oilfields of northern alberta nothing but ugly women and men .
and beleive me i cant drink that much to make any of them look pretty.:confused:

softmaple
02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
no i have not moved, i tapped my parents trees they live on a hill. theres about 22 trees there

SeanD
02-02-2008, 11:45 AM
hey NedL,

how are things running with those first taps? the conditions seem ideal, but are the trees agreeing?

saphead
02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Softmaple, when I lived down in your neck of the woods (Southampton) we always tapped Washington's birthday week and we still always seemed to miss the first run. I wouldn't be to worried about frozen roots this year as there was plenty of snow to insulate. Last year we had a terrible season because the frost was down to the roots everywhere,@ the end of the season there was frost out in the open pastures under 4" of mud! If your using new taps the little critters won't shut you down early. Have fun!

NedL
02-04-2008, 08:29 AM
The trees are agreeing. One tap has been giving me almost a gallon a day. I think the rain on Friday helped alot. I had enough to boil down for breakfast this weekend and make a little sugar for my 2 year old. Well the sugar was supposed to be syrup. Don't boil sap while you are watching the Super Bowl. Weather looks great for teh next week also, but I have to hold off on my other taps until I have time.

softmaple
02-04-2008, 09:36 AM
no taps in yet. i held off till next or the following week. got my line run at my parents and the tank set up but no holes yet. also got the hut cleaned up did a test boil with all the plumming attached. just need sap now.

Russ008
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I've gone through this every year. I tap to early get plenty of sap but I don't think I make any more syrup. The first run is the sweetest, then later the sugar content gets lower. I'm going to try to hold off till the end of Feb. this year, weather permitting. Best luck to all !!

swamp maple
02-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Installed taps today. Sap ws starting to run and looks like good weather for the week ahead.

SeanD
02-18-2008, 06:30 AM
I was thinking of tapping today once the monsoon ends. Where in Hopkinton are you? I'm in Woodville.

swamp maple
02-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Sap is running great today. One of the best runs in many years. I will start boiling tomrrow. I am on the upper end of Ash St. not far fron the Holliston town line.

SeanD
02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
The sap IS running great today! I put in 14 taps at 2:30 this afternoon and I just collected my 18th gallon. Collecting by moonlight is pretty much as good as it gets.

I'll send you a PM.

NedL
02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Sap is running great in Foxboro, too!!! Had to empty the buckets(milk jugs)twice on Sunday and Monday. They were overflowing.

Russ008
02-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I checked some buckets that are hanging down street on Saturday and they looked real dry. But with rain coming in it feels like it might be time. Even if it doesn't run its going to soon. Sounds like you folks a little south and east are doing good.

NedL
02-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Buckets have been dry for several days, now. Hopefully we'll get some in the next couple of days. Just boiled on my cinderblock arch for the first time yesterday. What a difference from the gas grill. Boiled down 30 gallons in about 4 hours and that was without feeding the fire regularly. Need to make a couple of upgrades, but very happy so far!!

mapleman3
02-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Today looks like a good day but... even if they run today they will shut down for a few more.. weather will be chilly.... it's coming though..... sit tight !! :)

Russ008
02-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Just thought I'd chime in that times coming 'round again !

WESTMAPLES
02-04-2015, 09:19 AM
oh yes everytime I see the sun and things melting abit I get excited, thinking sugaring time is coming. this year is looking promising of a good crop, but only the upcoming weather will tell the real story good luck to everyone willing to keep the `drying art` alive for years to come

Maplesedge
02-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Was just starting to get the itch, but now it's buried under four feet of fluffiness and tempered by below zero temps even without the wind chill. Looks like a March start around here. Who knows? Maybe April.

Russ008
02-07-2016, 09:15 AM
When ever I've tapped too early I've been sorry. A deep freeze screws every thing up, I used to worry about missing a good run, it seems when the run gets interrupted the second flow is darker . With a one man, part time, small lot I like to intensify my season results. I love going back though the past forums, and see us all trying to predict the season. I remember when Maple Trader crashed and the records were lost, Thank You Maple Trader for working hard and preventing this from happening again. Good luck to all in the coming season !