PDA

View Full Version : soda syrup keg uses???

markct
01-31-2008, 08:10 PM
a while back i saw there was a post selling some of the stainless soda keg containers on here. someone had bought some and was very excited about them it seemed, i was just curious what the uses for them might be in maple syrup making, i have a few around and havent thought of a good application yet, maybe someone can jumpstart my imagination!

Homestead Maple
01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
I use them to store syrup. When I get extra kegs I sell to others also.

maple flats
02-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Yes, they work very well for bulk syrup. If you are going to use them for syrup you should remove the dip tube that extends to the bottom to draw the soda out, cut it very short and re-install it. Wash everything out with very hot water, remove all seals and clean them and then re-install. Then when you fill them i found a better seal is achieved if I close the top flip latch and then use a heavy duty wire tie to pull the two heavy ss rod parts (that hold the top tight) tightly together to gain more closing pressure on the seal. This is because these are designed to seal under pressure rather than vac.
If you decide not to use them and would like to sell them send a message to dklish@earthlink.net because i will buy them. I am now looking for up to about 30 or so more.

NedL
02-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Soda kegs are very important to home brewers, but that's another forum.

Fred Henderson
02-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Yes, they work very well for bulk syrup. If you are going to use them for syrup you should remove the dip tube that extends to the bottom to draw the soda out, cut it very short and re-install it. Wash everything out with very hot water, remove all seals and clean them and then re-install. Then when you fill them i found a better seal is achieved if I close the top flip latch and then use a heavy duty wire tie to pull the two heavy ss rod parts (that hold the top tight) tightly together to gain more closing pressure on the seal. This is because these are designed to seal under pressure rather than vac.
If you decide not to use them and would like to sell them send a message to dklish@earthlink.net because i will buy them. I am now looking for up to about 30 or so more.

Can the dip tube be left in them and pressureize them with an inert gas. The adpters can be pruchased on ebay.

maplehound
02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
yes you can pressureize them but the dip tube is more for emptying them. For our uses you won't need it and it may cause contamination since it is hard to clean.

Fred Henderson
02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
yes you can pressureize them but the dip tube is more for emptying them. For our uses you won't need it and it may cause contamination since it is hard to clean.

I think that I read in here last year that you use these and that you do pressurize them. Can you tell us your method on how you use them.

NH Maplemaker
02-01-2008, 12:57 PM
There are some for sale on e-bay, under 5gal stainless steel cornilious soda kegs . Not cheap!

maplehound
02-01-2008, 04:07 PM
I just use them for storage. In the past I have just hot packed them with good results. Although if I keep them in storage for several months I do get some mold on the top but not much. This year I would like to try pressurizing them but I haven't yet done so. I did talk last year with someone on here who told me how to do it and helped me find the conectors to connect to the canisters. All I need now is the gas and gauges.

MR Electrician
02-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I just use them for storage. In the past I have just hot packed them with good results. Although if I keep them in storage for several months I do get some mold on the top but not much. This year I would like to try pressurizing them but I haven't yet done so. I did talk last year with someone on here who told me how to do it and helped me find the conectors to connect to the canisters. All I need now is the gas and gauges.

uhm why not suck the air out of them and vacuume pack it
then no mold will grow
better yet hot fill them to the top so theres no air .the shrinkage will vacuume pack it for you

maple flats
02-01-2008, 05:08 PM
The main thing is that they are not good at holding a real good vac because of their seal design is for pressure. I have not gotten any mold in full packed kegs but I do have 1 partial that was rolled and tipped upside down when hot. I will find out soon if that one molded.

maplehound
02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I have noticed that when I open them only a few acctually seal tight, to the point where they are hard to open. Those that do are always fresh and nice. Other seem to have a little something on the top. I ussually don't worry about it since I have to heat it up and refilter it anyway.

super sappy
02-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I took two of these kegs / Removed the pop valve guts and dip tube. Filled the small hole with the tig welder. Teflon taped the threads and screwed the nuts back in place. I went to the beer supply store in saratoga and bought new large o-ring seals. Filled them with hot water and flipped them upside down. one did not leak for about an hour,then started. the other I cant stop from leaking. I got thinking about the design of these things and thought about drilling a hole in the top and putting a valve stem in the top .A brass one like on a tire.When its full of syrup give it a shot with a hand pump to pressureize.I dont know how much pressure a cannister like this needs to properly seal. And the air from a tire pump might impart an off flavor??? I had problems with mold last year with the bulk in plastic. I do not want to loose grade and Ill be hoest the mold just turns me off. We need to come up with a way to pack syrup in small batches and open it a year later and have it be good. I dont want to refilter in august when its 95 degrees out. I got a quote on a 5 gal stainless can like the epoxy ones bascoms sell $219.00 each. so thats out. Just thinking or typing outloud-ss

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Maplehound,

Are you going to make syrup this year and what is happening with your job situation??

Gary R
02-01-2008, 07:15 PM
If you find these kegs, get them while you can. Here in PA, pepsi and coke are going to a box type of soda delivery. All of their kegs are being scrapped. I recently went to a pepsi bottling plant and asked for some. They gave them to me for free. Home brewing shops will carry all the parts for these kegs.

Lwood
02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I have a few of these, I put 2 cone pre filters in one ( stuffed in the top and folded so it won't fall in with a couple of spring clamps holding them ) and draw off of the evaporator into it. Swap it out for another when about half full. I finish bringing to density later. If I don't have enough to finish off put the lid on and keeps nice and clean and does not spill if I bump into it and tip it over ..... Not that THAT has ever happened.... Never tried to seal up finished syrup in them though.

Fred Henderson
02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I think we would be better off if we just bought the 15 gal Dr Pepper barrels. If I have to pay 25 bucks for a 5 gal and worry about it sealing. 90 bucks for a barrel that will seal.

Homestead Maple
02-01-2008, 08:57 PM
As others have said here, the kegs are made to be used with pressure, so when I fill mine, I top the keg off with some nitrogen. The air we breathe is roughly 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and a little other. I have a small nitrogen cylinder and in 3 years haven't used any noticeable amount out of it so the cylinder will last a long time. I remove the dip tube because I'm only concerned with the air space between the syrup and the cap and that isn't much, so that's why it doesn't take much nitrogen to charge/pressurize it. The nitrogen tank filled, cost me $45 and the regulator I got on ebay for $25, so the expense wasn't much. I only decided to charge the kegs because I figured once the hot syrup cooled and contracted it would pull a vacuum and might work the seal on the keg cap, (although some people use as is with no problems), but I figured for the amount of kegs I put up,I'd try the nitrogen. I charge the kegs to 35psi. Probably could be a little less pressure but so far things work well at that pressure. One person asked me if the nitrogen had any effect on the syrup but it doesn't. It's all natural and filtered air. I've had no spoiled or fermented syrup using this.

jemsklein
02-01-2008, 10:31 PM
well tonight we toke a beer keg poped the lid of cleaned it and filled it with hot water sealed it and put it in snow for 4 hours then opened the lid and there was a nice psssssssssssssssssssssssss coming out of the lid so the beer kegs can hold a vacumm they hold 15.5 gallons and you get them for allmost free at you local bar

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
$ 30.00 deposit in michigan

RICH

maplehound
02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Brandon, I am going to make syrup this year. Currently I am laid off from work and my other knee is schaedulaed to be replaced after the Easter Holiday. So I am free and clear to Make syrup. That is as long as I can afford the Gasoline to run the generator that runs the vaccuume in the woods.
As far as the kegs go though I love mine but I have been told that some of the dealerships are looking in to selling bags for 5 gallon buckets. They would be just like the ones used in the plastic drums (Health barrels) When you fill them all you would need to do is push out as much air as possible and screw on the cap. Yes they will work with Hot syrup too. I am not sure wich ones are offering them or what the current status of them are at this time.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Ron,

good luck and glad you are having a good attitude about it and I hope you find a job soon, I am sure that is not much fun!

maplehound
02-03-2008, 04:22 PM
At this point I don't expect to be back to work till about mid July at the earliest. By then My wife and I should be proud parents of Teen agers. At least that is the plan. We are adopting and hope to have one or two and possibly up to 4 by this summer. NOT SURE IF WE ARE CRAZY OR JUST HAVE A BIG HEART.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like God has given each of you a big heart. It takes special people to do those kind of things! Good luck to each of you and sure hope things work out with the job situation. Good things usually happen to good people!

Another good thing is that you will have plenty of time for syrup this year and we are pulling for a record crop for you to help with some extra $$$.

maplehound
02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks Brandon We need all the $$$$ we can get right now. As I am sure most people feel. We jsut need it more now than ever before.

brookledge
02-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I believe the reason soda kegs will not hot pack is the ball valve in the quick coupler will allow air to suck in as the syrup cools. If you could get rid of them it might work better. Or another thing that might happen is someone might push down on the ball bearing and let in air. I think if I was to use them I'd try to pressurize it. If you use beer kegs all you need is to remove the delivery tube and then use an 1 7/8" expansion plug available at hardware and auto stores. I use a piece of food grade plastic(sandwich bag) to put over the hole first and then put in the plug since the rubber used is not food grade in the plugs. You can get 1/4 kegs that hold around 7.5 gallons instead of 15.5 if you are looking for smaller kegs
Keith

jemsklein
02-04-2008, 06:46 AM
well there beer kegs we have are all metric and the fitting is a 50 cm opening now i have not treid 1 7/8th yet so we could try that thanks for the idea

royalmaple
02-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Keith-

Have you ever had these kegs hold any of the beer flavor? I wondered how well they would clean up.

jemsklein
02-04-2008, 07:31 AM
well it is like all stainless it cleans very easy just put hot whater and a bit of bleach and let thet sit over night then triple rinse

brookledge
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I rigged up a wand to use on my pressure washer with a curve in it and two wide angle nozzles that will get full coverage inside a keg. I hook up my hot water to supply it and clean them that way. Then let air dry and I have never had a problem with off flavor. Another good way to clean them is to run the condensate from your hood into them and shake them up good.
Keith

maple flats
02-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Homestead Maple, Is there a food grade nitrogen or is all N food grade? Your idea sounds like what I want to try this season. Will start looking for the equipment to pressurize it. Do you completely remove the dip tube or just cut it short like i did?

NH Maplemaker
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I tried to remove the Whole tube! But than the fitting was to lose when I put it back on. So than I just cut the tube with pipe cutter an 1" lone and that worked fine!

Fred Henderson
02-12-2008, 08:00 PM
That is what I did, you got to have that "o" ring in there to make it seal.

maple flats
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
That is what I already did. Please tell me more about the nitrogen and details on how you use it. Is it just as simple connection to an existing fitting on the keg, what about valves etc?

maplesyrupstove
02-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I have the top cut off of 2 soda kegs.I filter syrup from the evaporator right in them with my filter and 2 prefilters.There are pictures in my 2007 album. Darrell

Homestead Maple
02-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Maple Flats,
I do cut the outlet tube off,leaving about an inch of it so that the valve will close. I bought a ball lock valve on Ebay for these type kegs so that I can charge the tank through the inlet valve. If you can't find one soon let me know because I have an extra. The Nitrogen is natural and when it is compressed into the tank or should I say when the tank is filled the air is filtered. I will try to post a picture of my regulator and the quarter turn in-line valve I use to charge the kegs. I'm at work now and I don't know when I'll get home because I take care of the roads for the town where I work and I'm waiting for the rain to stop so I can sand or salt the roads and go home. That may not be until tomorrow a.m. I'll do what I can to help.

NH Maplemaker
02-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Don't the soda company's use co/2 for pressurizing soda kegs? Why could'nt we use it also ? It wold be a very small amount ! Then you could use the same fitting setup as they use ! Would the co/2 have a taste that would affect the syrup? It must be food grade or they would'nt be able to use it!

Homestead Maple
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Maple flats,
Here are a few pics of the N tank, compound regulator, the quarter turn on, off, in-line valve, and quick coupler for connecting to the ball lock valve on the keg inlet valve. I used the braided plastic hose but I'm sure other clear hose would work because I only charge the kegs at 35psi. Probably 20psi would do the job but it uses so little N to charge the kegs because your working with such a small volume area once the syrup is in the keg. I've checked a few kegs for pressure once they have reached room temp. and the amount to top off the charge per say, is negligible. Nitrogen was recommended over any other inert gas because it is less expensive. Any other questions, let me know.

Salmoneye
02-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Amazing...I had thought about bulk packing in soda kegs, but had no idea how well it would work...

Last year I was given about twenty, 5 and 3 gallon soda kegs by a guy that quit home brewing...He gave me everything, including a 300 gallon bulk milk tank that he used to store water (gave me that 3 years ago), a 60 gallon stainless industrial coffee urn that holds 100 gallons with the brew basket removed, two 15 1/2 gallon stainless beer kegs, a wort boiler converted from an industrial mixer, and the CO2 injection unit like the one in the post above...

Thanks for the ideas...

tuckermtn
02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Homestead...do you have part numbers/sources for the white plastic coupler on the end of the hose? Would that be something Merriam-Graves or MaineOxy would have? Does that go with the male fitting that is on the kegs already (I got mine from you last winter)

thanks

Homestead Maple
02-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Tuckermtn,
The coupler that you refer to, I bought on Ebay and if you do an Ebay search right now and type in the number, 250118426507, a store listing will come up for these quick couplers. If you order one, be sure to ask for a ball lock, quick coupler, and not a pin type coupler. The pin type were used on some older kegs. The kegs I sold you were of the ball lock type valves for the inlet. There are also compound/two stage, regulators listed on Ebay under a soda keg search, if you need a regulator, or some of the gas suppliers as you have mentioned sell the regulators.