PDA

View Full Version : Filter Press Setup

antelope76
03-29-2023, 06:16 AM
I just purchased a used Leader 7.5" Clear 3 Bank with a hand pump and am working on getting it setup to use this weekend.

I was wondering if the intake hose from the syrup source to the pump can be setup to gravity into the hand pump? I have a 5 gallon kettle with a ball valve on it and I would like to go from the valve to the pump. My valve is about an 1" to 2" higher than the pump intake.

All the videos I have seen they pump up and out of their syrup source container.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

craigwade2005
03-30-2023, 06:21 AM
This is how I run my Sheets tool press. My press sits in a metal rolling cart while the hot syrup is about 6" above it on the bench and my steam bottler is about the same height. It works great.

antelope76
03-30-2023, 09:20 AM
Thanks Craig.

Pic of my setup minus the hoses. Going to try it for this first time this weekend. Looking forward to not using cone filters anymore.23115

RileySugarbush
03-30-2023, 10:39 AM
That looks good. A couple of hint's you may already have heard or know:

Keep the syrup very hot before the filter/DE. You want to filter hot but below 190. maybe higher going in so it is around 190 or so coming out of the press. And minimize added heat after filtering, unless you have a water jacket. If your bottler/urn makes any noise like the hiss you hear from water on the stove, that is likely local boiling and you may be recreating nitre that will show up when your bottles cool down.

You will probably want the pump handle down low and close to you. It isn't as easy was you think to pump.

antelope76
03-30-2023, 12:20 PM
Thanks John.

When I used to cone filter, my coffee urn would keep the syrup between 180 and 185. I fill it with water and let it run the brew cycle and then dump the water out right before I start filling with syrup.

I am 6'5" so the pump looks like it is high but should be ok for my height. I'll know after Saturday if I need to lower it.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Father & Son
03-30-2023, 01:18 PM
I just purchased a used Leader 7.5" Clear 3 Bank with a hand pump and am working on getting it setup to use this weekend.

I was wondering if the intake hose from the syrup source to the pump can be setup to gravity into the hand pump? I have a 5 gallon kettle with a ball valve on it and I would like to go from the valve to the pump. My valve is about an 1" to 2" higher than the pump intake.

All the videos I have seen they pump up and out of their syrup source container.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

One thing I found out this year was if your discharge line from your press to your coffee urn is lower than the 5 gallon kettle the syrup will slowly siphon. Make sure if there is syrup in the kettle to keep the ball valve closed until you filter otherwise if you’re busy with something else you might overflow your filtered syrup. Ask me how I know.

craigwade2005
03-30-2023, 01:24 PM
One thing I found out this year was if your discharge line from your press to your coffee urn is lower than the 5 gallon kettle the syrup will slowly siphon. Make sure if there is syrup in the kettle to keep the ball valve closed until you filter otherwise if you’re busy with something else you might overflow your filtered syrup. Ask me how I know.

Interesting to hear. Maybe if I have some time to kill I'll set it up that way and hope to come back to filtered syrup lol