PDA

View Full Version : Gathering tub for a fourwheeler

Toby
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok, I figured out how to make a log arch that works so now I've got to figure out how to make a gathering tub to go behind my fourwheeler befor the sap starts running I am thinking of using a 55 gallon drum for the tank....but I would really like to make the tank 75 or 80 gallons. If I have to I'll use a 55 gallon drum and then make a bracket for a 15 gallon drum as well. Any ideas?

maple flats
02-01-2008, 06:14 AM
If you are going to carry that much, what weight is your 4 wheeler rated to carry? If ok on weight, go for it. If possible put some of theweight on the front to balance it outsome. I used to do this with my 20 horse 4x4 tractor for when I was planting strawberries. I had a tank mounted high on the rear (30gal) and A transplanter on the 3 point hitch arms, then i had a bracket on the front end for a 55 gal bbl. These were both filled with water and plumbed to the transplanter. Because i had no power steering i had to use up the front tank first, if I used the rear tank up first I could not turn the steering wheel at the end of each row. With a 4 wheeler this could also be done similarly but now you are dealing with snow, mud and ice.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-01-2008, 09:14 AM
sounds like it will be over loaded think about the ground when the frost is coming out

RICH

xulgiy
02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I'd try to modify the log arch to trailer your sap

Big_Eddy
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Even with a trailer - watch your loading. I once had a VERY exciting ride down a long twisty hill with 100 gals of sap pushing me all the way. Brakes did absolutely nothing. Been hauling with the 4wd tractor ever since.

Toby
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I think my fourwheeler will be able to pull it ok, as long as the weight is balanced correctly. My neighbor has a trailer for his four wheeler with a 110 gallon tank on it and it works well. The buckets i'm going to tap are all along a sturdy farm road, so i'm not too worried about the mud, and if we get too much snow i wont tap until it settles some. Speaking of which it's snowing and supposed to start freezing rain here so i better get back to plowing & sanding! gonna be a long night!

Toby
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
10-4 big eddy, been there done that with a load of wood on that wagon i built....luckily I didnt get hurt or break anything!

H. Walker
02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I pull a trailer, 125 gallon gathering tub and 2 gathers all the time through mud & slop!

1 made in America 375cc auto ARCTIC CAT,,,,, priceless!!!!

Fred Henderson
02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
That small trailer in the pic's that you posted would be excellent as a sap hauler behind your ATV. That is how I started. We had a 55 gal plastic barrel in the tariler, horizonal. I cut a hole in it big enough to put a plastic pail into ( just 2"). I then drill 3/16 holes in th bottom of the pail to act as a strainer. Last year we used a carryall on the Bota that had 2 55 gal barrels horiz. With a trailer if you do get stuck or something else goes amiss you can unhook.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-01-2008, 02:35 PM
and your signature says it all, flat land. Where I am, I wouldn't want to try pulling 50 gallons behind my Yamaha Kodiak 450 and it has engine braking where you never hardly hit the brakes due to the very steep slopes. Be careful with much weight if you have any slope, we don't need one less trader member over something like that.

maplesyrupstove
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I haul my sap in a 55 gallon barrel behind my 4 wheeler. have a 4 inch hole to pour sap in it the first year. Now I have a small pump to gather sap ,take 6 minutes to empty a half barrel.There are pictures in my 2007 album. Darrell

Russell Lampron
02-02-2008, 06:54 AM
I use two 35 gallon tanks on a trailer behind my 4 wheeler. When I get it set up for the season I will take some pics.

Russ