PDA

View Full Version : Snapped tapping bit

Someclown
03-27-2023, 09:23 PM
While tapping last week I had a tapping bit jamb and snap inside the tree. The bit seemed to grab something hard and came to a drill twisting stop wrenching my wrist and snapping the bit off. I assume I hit a piece of metal maybe a nail or an old timers tap or rock grown into the tree as I've hit objects with my chainsaws while cutting firewood but not in the maple bush.
I tried pulling it out with needle nose pliers with no luck and wonder if anyone else has any tricks up there sleeve to try and remove it or should I leave it knowing it will not harm the tree

This is a nail in a maple that looks to have been in there for a number of years , hard on chains

Bricklayer
03-28-2023, 04:58 AM
We have all done it. I usually average 1 broken bit per year. Usually now only happens if I have someone “ helping “ me tap.
I would just leave it. You’ll Probley end up doing more damage to the tree trying to get it out then just leaving it in.
As for the chainsaw. Most of us don’t cut down sugar maples unless it’s absolutely necessary. So I guess just remember it’s there or if you do wreck a chain cutting it up. Then you have an even better story to tell and a cool souvenir.

TapTapTap
03-28-2023, 05:37 AM
If you can grab enough of it then a small pipe wrench or heavy duty vice grips. Turn counterclockwise. Otherwise, leave it.
Ken

berkshires
03-28-2023, 07:55 AM
While tapping last week I had a tapping bit jamb and snap inside the tree. The bit seemed to grab something hard and came to a drill twisting stop wrenching my wrist and snapping the bit off. I assume I hit a piece of metal maybe a nail or an old timers tap or rock grown into the tree as I've hit objects with my chainsaws while cutting firewood but not in the maple bush.
I tried pulling it out with needle nose pliers with no luck and wonder if anyone else has any tricks up there sleeve to try and remove it or should I leave it knowing it will not harm the tree

This is a nail in a maple that looks to have been in there for a number of years , hard on chains

I drill around the outside of the broken bit with a smaller bit about a 1/4 inch deep, or you could probably use a small wood chisel. Just enough to get purchase with a vise grip. Then spin it out with the vice grip counter-clockwise.

GO

Someclown
03-30-2023, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the input I will leave it in the tree