PDA

View Full Version : 3*10 raise flue dark syrup?????

cpmaple
03-24-2023, 04:32 AM
Hello all,
I've been making syrup for 15 years an this is the second evaporator I've owned where I could only get darker syrup off from it. 3*7 raise flue running it 3/4 inch over flue an 3*3 syrup pan running at 1 to 1-1/4" deep. Sap is testing around 2-2.2% an clean an clear. Not letting it sit for no more than 12hrs at most if that. Becoming a very heavy Carmel color in the flue pan before hitting the syrup wondering if that is doing it or do I need to shallow up syrup pan? Pulling off between 1.5-2 gallons each draw or could it be this evaporator??? Thanks in advance cpmaple

TapTapTap
03-24-2023, 05:15 AM
CP,.
Run your downriggers up to 25 ft, cut your speed a bit, and work the shoreline.
Sorry, wrong forum.
Ken (Blackghost)

Maybe run a little deeper in your front pan?

ecolbeck
03-24-2023, 07:07 AM
I was wondering if running shallower in the front pan would cause the syrup to cycle through faster. Less boiling would make it lighter?

ecp
03-24-2023, 07:28 AM
How much Niter build-up in on the pans. Cleaning them could help.

cpmaple
03-25-2023, 04:23 AM
Never had to do that before. Do I draw off the product in pan save it clean pan then add t back to pan after?????

TapTapTap
03-25-2023, 05:15 AM
Never had to do that before. Do I draw off the product in pan save it clean pan then add t back to pan after?????

Do you have a filter press? I typically clear out the syrup pan after every couple of boils using the filter press to clean the sweet and then I clean the syrup pan. This process becomes more frequent as the season progresses and niter builds up.

Good luck.

Ken