PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it Old-School

DanielS.
03-23-2023, 02:40 PM
Found this online: A video a neighbour did for the local tourism board of my Grandfather doing syrup. Thought some folks might find it interesting. Happy to say we're still doing it pretty much as he did:

https://youtu.be/un4ru_gncFo

Pdiamond
03-23-2023, 06:56 PM
Awesome video. Thank you for sharing it.

SeanD
03-23-2023, 08:06 PM
Awesome. Love the horses and love your grandfather's take on sugaring esp when comparing what he does to those using pipeline.

MajorWoodchuck
03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
What a wonderful video, thanks for sharing. You grandfather seemed like a humble man. Those horses would sure come in handy during early sugar season. I am fighting 1 ft of snow collecting with my ATV. Wish I could tell my ATV to move forward as I am collecting like those horses.

murferd
03-24-2023, 04:54 AM
That is very cool, they sure worked hard!

berkshires
03-24-2023, 07:01 AM
That's awesome. Not so sure about that last line: "Nobody will miss us". That sounds like a lot of humility. Anyone who watches this can't help but care for your grandfather and what he does. I guess that's kind of the point, eh?

Thanks for sharing.

GO

bigschuss
03-24-2023, 07:57 AM
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

A good reminder that all we're really doing is boiling water. This stuff ain't rocket science.

Bucket Head
03-24-2023, 08:45 AM
Nice video! Thanks for posting that.

Years ago at the VVS maple Conference, Steve Childs gave a presentation on bucket collection efficiency. He asked what was better for it, a team of horses or a tractor? He had done it both ways. Everybody thought about it for a while, then after a long pause he said, "I tried it a lot of times, but the tractor never came to me when I called to it".

Steve

Sunday Rock Maple
03-25-2023, 07:48 AM
Great post!

MapleLady
02-07-2024, 07:17 AM
What a lovely video! Thank you for sharing it!

Galena
03-14-2024, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=Bucket Head;410514]Nice video! Thanks for posting that.

Years ago at the VVS maple Conference, Steve Childs gave a presentation on bucket collection efficiency. He asked what was better for it, a team of horses or a tractor? He had done it both ways. Everybody thought about it for a while, then after a long pause he said, "I tried it a lot of times, but the tractor never came to me when I called to it".

Haha yep true! If i had a beastie I would definitely use it help collect sap :-) Besides tractors can get stuck and not be able to get to tougher sections of ground. I worked with a horse logging team once, incredible how they worked in the bush.