PDA

View Full Version : What to make

Big_Eddy
01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
I have been perfecting my Tig welding for about a year now with the intent to make my own flue pan sometime. I've mastered 24 gauge mild steel, and I've moved on to 22gauge stainless. After working through my misc scraps, I picked up a 2' x 3' drop, but I can't bring myself to cut it up into little pieces. Thought I should make something useful with it instead.

I would like a few ideas for useful stainless implements for the sugar shack. I see the $50 :eek: ladles in the catalogues - one of those will be first - but what next?

How about some ideas of maple related things you have or would like that I can Tig up from my piece? The more welds required the better.

xulgiy
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
So what settings are you using on your TIG for the 22ga? I'm getting a sheet of 18ga to make my pans, but i can't decide if I should go through the trouble of flues, or just go divided flat. I took a welding class for a few months, and took a liking to the TIG process. 18ga gives way to nice welds...but I'd be neveous with my skill level to go too far on 22ga without burn throughs.

How about a new float for your new flue pan?

Big_Eddy
02-01-2008, 11:34 AM
For 24 gauge mild - I've been running 0.040 Thoriated at 15-20 amps, using as little filler as I can and 0.030 Mig wire for the filler. I overlap the edge about 10 thou and use the melt back for fill.

22 Stainless - about the same all around - except my filler is 0.023 stainless wire and my current is closer to 25 amps. Still working out the kinks there. I'm by no means proficient on stainless - hence the pratice.

MR Electrician
02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
eddy build yourself a replica of the wife .
this way you can tell it to shut up and not get kicked in the jewery
:rolleyes: