PDA

View Full Version : How much syrup to give land owner

David Wayne
03-21-2023, 08:06 AM
What is customary? This was a poor year for us and we made 17 gallons. Tapped a new place this year and looking forward to long term with this neighbor. Probably got 15 gallons from his trees, so what should I give him.

Thanks,
David

jrgagne99
03-21-2023, 08:22 AM
I tap 150 trees spread out across 4 land owners. I give out about 2.5 gallons total in quarts, proportioned according to tap count on each parcel. Happy landowners are critical. I make 40-50 gallons a year, except this year. Not sugaring due to ruptured Achillies... :(

antelope76
03-21-2023, 01:32 PM
I have 50 buckets on a landowner who also helps me collect all 100-110 of my buckets throughout the season. He also stops up to help boil occasionally. I give him 2 gallons every year.

Trends
03-21-2023, 02:14 PM
You could figure out the value of the sap you tapped from their trees and give him that value in syrup.
You said you estimated 15 gal of syrup from his wood lot so assuming 44:1 ratio that would be 660gal of sap at say $0.14 gal (I reminder seeing sap values based on sugar % in the Maple Trader a few months back. you should be able to find on this website. $0.14 is just a # I pulled out of the air) so in the area of $90 worth of syrup.
What ever you give him I would think you would want a way to justify your decision if they have a hurt look on there face.

My thoughts only.

DRoseum
03-21-2023, 02:52 PM
Another method is cost of leased taps. I have no idea market price for that on a small scale. Thought I saw $1 or $1.50 at some point. So if you had 50 taps, then give them $50 worth of syrup.

johnallin
03-21-2023, 04:13 PM
What is customary? This was a poor year for us and we made 17 gallons. Tapped a new place this year and looking forward to long term with this neighbor. Probably got 15 gallons from his trees, so what should I give him.

Thanks,
David

15 Gallons of sap or 15 gallons of syrup?
If it's 15 gal Syrup: I'd offer him at least a couple gallons, best keep him happy, that's 88% of your total.
On the other hand; 15 gallons of sap is whole different story and not even a 1/2 gallon of syrup...

David Wayne
03-21-2023, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, its 15 gallons of syrup, don't want to base it on #of taps because this year we were only getting 30 to 40 gallons every couple days on 120
taps. Based on past years it should have been 200 a day. We just never got good weather this year. Anyway I pulled taps today its not going to freeze for the next 5 days. gave owner 4 quarts and they were very happy, "said thats too much".
Thanks again
David

TapTapTap
03-21-2023, 06:35 PM
It should be worth $1 a tap, or more, if you leased a sugarbush. Therefore, one way to consider it is to provide the equivalent of $1 for each tap at the retail price for syrup. 50 taps should be about 1 gallon of syrup.

Ken

johnallin
03-21-2023, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the replies, its 15 gallons of syrup, don't want to base it on #of taps because this year we were only getting 30 to 40 gallons every couple days on 120
taps. Based on past years it should have been 200 a day. We just never got good weather this year. Anyway I pulled taps today its not going to freeze for the next 5 days. gave owner 4 quarts and they were very happy, "said thats too much".
Thanks again
David

That's good and everyone is happy...2+2 = 6

maple flats
03-21-2023, 07:20 PM
The last year I tapped leased trees I paid $1.00 per tap and paid it in either cash or syrup, their choice. If they chose syrup I gave them quarts, but at the half gal price rate, thus 2 qts @ half gal rate, but it qt jugs. I never had help from the land owner, just friendly conversations.
Those prices are for central NY state, if in high competition for sap areas, the price is considerably higher.
It's tough to do well on a half pint, even if it's the half pint supreme. Most rates are on larger evaporators and operations who have an RO too.

Sugar Bear
03-21-2023, 08:43 PM
I tap two different neighbors' trees. I give away as little of my syrup as possible and say if you like it and want more do not hesitate to let me know.

Bring me your heart and soul and I shall be your lord and savior is my motto, to the best of my capabilities at least.

Although I never read the bible and don't think there is a single verse that I can resight other than "In the beginning the earth was without form and void"

littleTapper
03-22-2023, 06:50 AM
I give my neighbors and owners of my remote trees a decent amount based on how many trees of theirs I tap and how the season goes. This season is better, so they get more. They also know that if they ever need more, then can just ask and I do check in with them during the off season to see if they are running low. If so, I haul some over to them. It's not my livelihood, so I'm glad to basically give them what they want. :) Everyone's happy this way.

berkshires
03-22-2023, 10:28 AM
I tapped a neighbor's trees for the first time this season. I'm keeping track of how much do I get and the sugar content, and I told him if give him 1/4 the syrup it yields. The trees have done very well and for three taps it looks like I'll give him a quart and a 12 oz bottle.

GO

Swingpure
03-22-2023, 10:41 AM
I give my land owners 20% of the syrup I make from the sap collected from their properties. In some cases I cap how much I give them.

4Walls
03-25-2023, 08:36 AM
I Give 1 litre per 20 taps on their property. That's with me doing all the work and maintaining all the lines. So the neighbour across the road has 150 taps running down to my place. He gets a case and a half of 500ml bottles. I make special labels for them and they give it away to family as their own.
Have other neighbour who has 40 pails at his place. His pails, His kids collect it. I pump it into the truck and make it syrup. He is happy with our deal. Take the average finished per tap overall and then he gets half the proportional share. I typically get 1L plus per tap so he comes and bottles 20L.
I have another neighbour that does something similar. They collect from 20 trees and bring it to me. I run it through the RO, Boil it down to about 50brix and they take it back and finish it on their own. They have young kids and are cooking on propane. This is a fun way for them to have family over and "make maple syrup" without the tedious amount of time boiling. They leave a bottle of whiskey in the sugar shack. I don't take any of their syrup.

fred
03-25-2023, 12:07 PM
That's good and everyone is happy...2+2 = 6

In Ohio $1.5/tap is standard, but depends on your agreement.

John what kind of Canadian math is that?? :lol:

johnallin
03-25-2023, 01:14 PM
In Ohio $1.5/tap is standard, but depends on your agreement.

John what kind of Canadian math is that?? :lol:

5 qts to a gallon math.
Canadian Imperial !!