PDA

View Full Version : Best filtering set up for around 50 taps?

Suburban Maple Man
03-19-2023, 08:09 PM
What is the a good filtering setup for around 50 taps. As of now I’m using orlon filers with pre filters. Tired of it and want something faster.

DRoseum
03-19-2023, 09:54 PM
How much syrup are you getting from 50 taps? Do you finish and filter every day in small batches or do you combine batches? Or do you queue up sap all week for bigger weekend boils/batches?

Your options are a vacuum filter or a filter press.

I did a vacuum filter when I had ~50 taps on buckets and was only making 6 gallons a year. Worked great for very small batches for each boil.

Vacuum filters are easy and economical to build and operate. Lots of plans on here and online. Downside to vacuum filter is you can't directly bottle as it's filtered and use of DE/filter aide is a little more involved. Syrup will cool and you will need to reheat it to 180f (carefully so you don't create more niter!). I tried to keep the syrup hot by using steam heat similar to a double boiler. But, the syrup in the pot that has been filtered is UNDER VACUUM as you filter more syrup. That DROPS the boiling point and precipitation point of niter to a lower temperature. Hence i believe the syrup was getting more niter in it due to the steam heat and vacuum. Vacuum filters can also clog up on the top but there are approaches to deal with that (using removable pre-filters).

When I went to 100 taps on vacuum my yield jumped to averaging 30 gallons per year and I went to a filter press and have never regretted it. More expensive but IMO are easier to use (directly bottle if you control temperature correctly).

ecolbeck
03-20-2023, 05:31 AM
If you’re using orlon filters be sure that they are kept warm because syrup that crystallizes on the outside will impede flow. Major manufacturers make filter canners for this purpose that you can buy or DIY.

Canning on a vacuum filter is indeed possible (it’s what they were designed for) and I respectfully disagree that the vacuum has any practical effect on niter formation. As previously mentioned, commercial units are expensive but DIY is a very viable option.

ebliese
03-20-2023, 07:26 AM
Are you using a cone filter system or flat filter system currently?

DRoseum
03-20-2023, 07:54 AM
Canning on a vacuum filter is indeed possible (it’s what they were designed for) and I respectfully disagree that the vacuum has any practical effect on niter formation. As previously mentioned, commercial units are expensive but DIY is a very viable option.

Agreed - canning from them is definitely possible - they all have a valve to bottle from the main vat, but you cannot go through the filter medium directly into a jar like a press. Nuanced difference that *may* result in lower temperatures of filtered syrup and require some reheating.

As for the niter ... just my observation based on prior use. While the syrup comes out clear, I could never match the polished clarity I get from a press. I suspect it's from heating to 185F while under 29 inHG of vacuum, or just very fine niter getting through multiple pre filters and multiple orlon filters. Perhaps my results would have been different if I only reheated afterwards when there was no vacuum being pulled on the syrup in the bottom vat. My top would end up being pretty clogged up and filter slowly and the vacuum pump was consistently pulling 29 inHG while processing.

Others may have totally different perspectives. Again, vacuum filters are great, just sharing my experience.

ecolbeck
03-20-2023, 10:32 AM
I’m confused about the units on the screenshot you posted. My research seems to indicate that 29 inches of Hg would cause BP to drop just over a degree. 29 mm of Hg would lead to a BP of 66F.

DRoseum
03-20-2023, 10:43 AM
I’m confused about the units on the screenshot you posted. My research seems to indicate that 29 inches of Hg would cause BP to drop just over a degree. 29 mm of Hg would lead to a BP of 66F.

There are 25.4 mm per inch. So 28 inHg = 711 mmHg.

tjanson
03-20-2023, 11:45 AM
We have 45 taps and make about 7 gallons syrup a year. We use a synthetic cone filter with 3-4 paper prefilters (Is that orlon?). I made a stand that hangs the filter into a 5 gallon brew pot with spigot that sits on a induction hot plate with temperature control. We adjust density on the kitchen stove in 1-2 gallons batches then pour into the filters. Every 1-2 ga batch we pull a prefilter out. Induction heater keeps it between 180-190 deg F while we can off the spigot. Works pretty well for us, doesn't seem to be that much fuss.

Wannabe
03-20-2023, 07:29 PM
What is the a good filtering setup for around 50 taps. As of now I’m using orlon filers with pre filters. Tired of it and want something faster.

If you're not selling the syrup, I'd just use the settling method.. easy peasy

Suburban Maple Man
03-20-2023, 07:36 PM
Are you using a cone filter system or flat filter system currently?

Cone filter

Pdiamond
03-20-2023, 07:49 PM
I am going to throw my 2 cents worth into this conversation. I have a SL filter/finisher/bottler and I have a SL filter press. Brand has nothing to do with what you get. Before I had this filter press I hand a Maple Guys Filter press. If you want to make crystal clear syrup, and you don't want to mess with cleaning pre filters and felt filters, get a filter press. They cost more, yes, but you waste less.

ebliese
03-21-2023, 07:42 AM
Cone filter

Ok, that's helpful. Flat filters will filter faster than a cone filter due to the increased surface area (and are much easier to use). We use a flat filter/steam bottler and we like it. The first year we used it we had 50 taps and made 13 3/4 gallons syrup. Now we have 100 taps and make around 25 gallons of syrup. My one suggestion if you go with a flat filter/finisher/bottler is to get one with handles. Our first finisher/bottler didn't have handles and was kind of hard to carry with four or five gallons of syrup up to the house. We sold it after one season and bought a different model (with handles!).

However, if you are done with filters (orlon or paper), to my mind it would make sense to buy a filter press. If we ever expand, we would probably go that route.

Pdiamond
03-21-2023, 07:35 PM
The Smoky Lake filter/finisher/bottler I have has the handles just like their pans, all the way around it. It holds 16 gallons. I would not attempt to carry it that full. I don't think I would carry it with 5 gallons in it. I finish in my kitchen and use the steam bottler on the stove. Works great that way. I can control the temperature better. I carry the syrup from the sugar shack to the house in a 5 gallon food grade bucket.

dvnwvt
03-25-2023, 03:38 PM
I may have just the solution for you. I too have HATED ‘manual’ filtering using cones. I tried the wire thing that inverts the center of the cone but not much faster really. And cleaning used cone filters is still a messy pain in the you know what. Vacuum or press just seems way too costly for my small hobby operation (80 taps, 18-20 gal per year).

You’re on the right track with the flat filter approach. I too have the Smoky Lake 16x16 finisher/canner setup. What I finally did this season, and it’s been GREAT, is to buy a large stainless bucket made for milking (has a pouring handle on the bottom which is a nice benefit). The sides slope so I carefully measured the diameter about 2” below the rim, then scoured Amazon for a food-grade mesh screen that diameter. Fashioned 3 evenly spaced hooks so it hangs about those 2” below the bucket rim. Bought filter paper in sheet form (both the thinner kind and the thicker one) and cut them appropriately long so I could pull them through either the square Smoky Lake tray or my round bucket as they got clogged.

It’s been a real relief to ditch those cones, I gotta say. Much faster and waaaaaay easier to clean. The bucket is also really useful around the sugarhouse too … I don’t like putting hot sap or syrup in plastic, food grade or not. Oh, another advantage, I use the bucket for the 1st pass filtering with the thinner filters. The thicker ones are in the Smoky Lake tray. So the Smoky Lake unit stays put. Bucket waaaay easier/safer to carry and pour into the square, bulky finisher.

Can upload or email details and pics if you like.

Swingpure
03-25-2023, 03:50 PM
I still really like my DYI vacuum filter. I filter 2.25 gallons of syrup in 2 minutes with little setup, then take it out of the bottom pot and pour it into my bottling pot and it is already at the 180°. It makes crystal clear syrup.

Suburban Maple Man
03-25-2023, 10:02 PM
Please do if it’s not too much trouble.

Bucket Head
03-25-2023, 10:30 PM
My two cents on inexpensive filtering.

I have four, stainless steel, 10 gal. milk cans. I put one cone filter and three pre-filters in each can. I line them up alongside the arch. I draw off into one until the filtering slows. I move that can out and put another one under the draw off. I pull the filters out, dump the syrup in the canner, yank the first pre-filter out, put the filters back in the can and put it back in the line of cans for more draw offs. I do this until each can is out of prefilters or if the filter isn't passing anymore. Just today, I filtered over twenty gallons of syrup this way. Used four filters and twelve pre-filters. I'll use 5 or 6 filters and few more pre-filters as the season ends. This set up has worked well for us for years.

Steve

MRFNY
03-26-2023, 08:35 AM
I may have just the solution for you. I too have HATED ‘manual’ filtering using cones. I tried the wire thing that inverts the center of the cone but not much faster really. And cleaning used cone filters is still a messy pain in the you know what. Vacuum or press just seems way too costly for my small hobby operation (80 taps, 18-20 gal per year).

You’re on the right track with the flat filter approach. I too have the Smoky Lake 16x16 finisher/canner setup. What I finally did this season, and it’s been GREAT, is to buy a large stainless bucket made for milking (has a pouring handle on the bottom which is a nice benefit). The sides slope so I carefully measured the diameter about 2” below the rim, then scoured Amazon for a food-grade mesh screen that diameter. Fashioned 3 evenly spaced hooks so it hangs about those 2” below the bucket rim. Bought filter paper in sheet form (both the thinner kind and the thicker one) and cut them appropriately long so I could pull them through either the square Smoky Lake tray or my round bucket as they got clogged.

It’s been a real relief to ditch those cones, I gotta say. Much faster and waaaaaay easier to clean. The bucket is also really useful around the sugarhouse too … I don’t like putting hot sap or syrup in plastic, food grade or not. Oh, another advantage, I use the bucket for the 1st pass filtering with the thinner filters. The thicker ones are in the Smoky Lake tray. So the Smoky Lake unit stays put. Bucket waaaay easier/safer to carry and pour into the square, bulky finisher.

Can upload or email details and pics if you like.

I'm interested in seeing photos and more details of your setup if you can post some pics? Or I can PM you my email address if that works!

Thanks!

dvnwvt
03-27-2023, 08:56 AM
Here are the details … pics attached. The hooks were DIY from hardware store aluminum bar stock.

Pail (the ones with tilting handles currently on backorder … can maybe find elsewhere):
https://www.homesteadersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_106&products_id=14

Rack: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiDlJzToPz9AhV-lokEHT8UAFkQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FChris-Wang-Multi-Purpose-Stainless-Steaming-Barbecue%2Fdp%2FB071X3K9NF&usg=AOvVaw13xsewtWyiH9hJchtRkt7H

MRFNY
03-27-2023, 09:21 AM
Here are the details … pics attached. The hooks were DIY from hardware store aluminum bar stock.

Pail (the ones with tilting handles currently on backorder … can maybe find elsewhere):
https://www.homesteadersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_106&products_id=14

Rack: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiDlJzToPz9AhV-lokEHT8UAFkQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FChris-Wang-Multi-Purpose-Stainless-Steaming-Barbecue%2Fdp%2FB071X3K9NF&usg=AOvVaw13xsewtWyiH9hJchtRkt7H

Awesome thanks so much! I already have the pail that Leader sells so just need the rack and the hooks. This is perfect!

billyinvt
03-27-2023, 09:28 AM
I was ready to quit the whole thing before I got my flat filter canner. Now I just bring it up to temp/density on a propane burner and filter 3-5 gallons at a time right in the sugarhouse when I've got help. It was a few hundred bucks, but absolutely saved what was left of my sanity.

dvnwvt
03-27-2023, 10:21 AM
Just make sure you carefully check the inside diameter of the bucket, far enough below the rim to hold the rack so there’s enough room for syrup above the filter, but enough capacity left in the bucket below the filter.

dvnwvt
03-27-2023, 10:28 AM
Yeah, filtering almost drove me out too! BTW, I also boil in batches (i.e. feed all 4 sections at once and take the whole pan to almost syrup, instead of the traditional way of drawing off one end as it concentrates). A big advantage is you can filter on the fly a couple of times which really lessens clogging at the end. In other words, while a batch is boiling, draw off one end and filter, then pour back in opposite end to push unfiltered liquid toward the drawoff end. Repeat 3-4 times to filter the whole pan.