PDA

View Full Version : Filtering advise - Small Filter Press or Vacuum Filter?

Willen
03-16-2023, 07:02 PM
I generally reheat, cone filter with liners and bottle in 5 gallon/20L batches, and repeat that 10 times a season (maybe more this year the way things are going). Package in glass, so clarity is important.

I am sick of the mess, and bottleneck the gravity filtering though the cones causes. I was pretty set on a 5” Maple Guys filter press, and then saw 4Walls vacuum filter on here. I can convert my CDL cone filter/filler to a Vacuum filter pretty easily.

For 50-100 gallons per year, what do you think is the right choice? Any difference in clarity (DE in the press vs just filtering in the vacuum filter?)

Thanks for your input.

DRoseum
03-16-2023, 09:39 PM
Vac filters are nice, but go with the press. I think you will be very happy with the simplicity and clarity. I'd recommend the stainless smoky lake presses. Hand pump or air operated.

https://www.smokylakemaple.com/product-category/filtering-finishing/filter-press/

I've used both, and prefer the press.

maple flats
03-16-2023, 09:47 PM
I'd go with a small filter press, even a hand pump version. If you decide later you want a pump version, just add a diaphragm pump rated for over 200F, that can be added later.

SeanD
03-17-2023, 05:08 AM
I'd also go with the small press. I'm a big fan of getting more bang for your buck and the press gives you extra options. You can pack into bulk more easily and run the sweet in your pans through it. If possible, shoot for the diaphragm pump. Then you can be cleaning up for the night while the press is doing the filtering.

wvfdc4
03-17-2023, 08:26 PM
I have one of the 9" CDL vacuum presses and bottle in similar size batches to you (though not as many in a season...yet) and I am planning on upgrading to a filter press, the filter is really one of my biggest bottlenecks. It does a great job but is not near as user friendly or flexible as a filter press.

heus
03-17-2023, 09:31 PM
Speaking from experience ( I have had a full bank 7" filter press, 2 short banks, 12" cdl vac filter, and 18" cdl vac filter) go with the filter press. While the clarity in the vacuum filters was good, they are still way too slow compared to a filter press.

RC Maple
03-18-2023, 05:06 PM
I looked at the vacuum filters online a year ago but decided to wait on a filter press for some day in the future. My first couple batches this year were way too slow on my flat filter setup. I finally had enough watching syrup sit on top of filters and washing syrup down the drain when rinsing them. Good to read all the comments on this thread in favor of a press. My Smokey Lake press was delivered today.

Pdiamond
03-18-2023, 06:31 PM
You will definitely like using it.

Swingpure
03-18-2023, 08:07 PM
Vac filters are nice, but go with the press. I think you will be very happy with the simplicity and clarity. I'd recommend the stainless smoky lake presses. Hand pump or air operated.

https://www.smokylakemaple.com/product-category/filtering-finishing/filter-press/

I've used both, and prefer the press.

Is there a volume threshold where the vacuum filter might be the better choice? As an example if you were only filtering 1-4 gallons of syrup at a time.

DRoseum
03-18-2023, 08:16 PM
Idk. I average between 1 to 2 gallons per night and still love using the press.... Even if I got less than 1 gallon.

Swingpure
03-18-2023, 09:24 PM
Idk. I average between 1 to 2 gallons per night and still love using the press.... Even if I got less than 1 gallon.

How long would it take to pass 2 gallons of syrup through the hand press?

Swingpure
03-18-2023, 09:32 PM

I watched half of this: https://youtu.be/ZuCv4pcdB6M

I don’t have Aunt Mary and the other assistants. I would be finished filtering the syrup on my vacuum filter before they finished adding in the powder.

It takes me less than two minutes to filter the syrup after poring in my hot finished syrup into the vacuum filter and it comes out crystal clear.

For my solo small operation, I will stick with my vacuum filter. I appreciate that the press is better for other people.

RC Maple
03-19-2023, 11:20 AM

I never saw this option when researching about the press, but my typical batch size is between 2.5 and 5 gallons. While reading the instructions that came with the SL press, I saw a shortener plate that slips in the press to use less of the press for filtering small batches, saving papers and DE. With experience doing small batches, do you have, or would you recommend this as an option? Thanks.

DRoseum
03-19-2023, 02:18 PM
I never saw this option when researching about the press, but my typical batch size is between 2.5 and 5 gallons. While reading the instructions that came with the SL press, I saw a shortener plate that slips in the press to use less of the press for filtering small batches, saving papers and DE. With experience doing small batches, do you have, or would you recommend this as an option? Thanks.

Yes, I have the shortener and use it frequently. For small batches I only use 1 bookend plate, first filter paper, 1 window plate (with thermometer), 2nd filter paper and 1 waffle plate (and then the shortener).

It's literally a piece of shiny stainless that fits perfectly between the plate hanger rods. You could buy it or make it. If you make it, it has to be perfectly flat to create the seal.

SeanD
03-19-2023, 06:03 PM

Don't ever sweat the amount of papers and DE you use. A box of papers and a bag of DE will last you forever and a day. They will be fractions of fractions of cents per filtered batch. 5 gallons is definitely worth while to filter with a press. If you end up with a smaller batch, you can still filter it or just hold it to your next boil and filter the two batches to make a bigger batch. I draw 4 gallons at a time, correct it then add it to a 16-gal pot. If the pot has syrup left over from the last boil, the new syrup will bring the total pot temp up to 120F-140F depending on how much was already in there. From there, it doesn't take much heat/propane to bring it up to 200F. More 4-gal draws get me there sooner.

I measure the amount I filter in terms of the 5 (really hold 6) gallon bbls I pack in. If I have 6-7 gallons I can fill 1 bbl. When I hit 12-13 gallons, I can do two - not counting the syrup needed to charge the press.

Willen
03-21-2023, 09:07 PM
I’ve been looking at a 5” Daryl Sheets press - anyone know what they are rated for? I do about 5 gallon batches, one after the other, all in one or two days of bottling, later in the season after the collecting and boiling is done.

craigwade2005
03-22-2023, 06:40 AM
I’ve been looking at a 5” Daryl Sheets press - anyone know what they are rated for? I do about 5 gallon batches, one after the other, all in one or two days of bottling, later in the season after the collecting and boiling is done.
You can run up to about 8 gallons with his press. Maybe more if it's clear.
I have one of his presses and I'm not sure why I didn't buy it ages ago.
Our standard batch is 6-8 gallons and I use about 4 cups of DE and run it through.
There is a learning curve to it, but once you get it you will never look back.