PDA

View Full Version : Pump Overheating and Shutting Down

BradWilson
03-16-2023, 05:52 PM
Greetings all from Snowy Northern Vermont.

I bit the bullet this year and bought a new CDL 1hp vacuum pump (they make their own instead of using Airtech). Anyway, my vacuum shelter is mobile. It's 6' tall, 3' wide and 6' deep. It's insulated with 2" blue board all around. It houses my electric releaser and pump and the new vac pump. The vac pump is wired to a contactor and Johnson Control thermostat. The problem is that the vac pump motor keeps tripping it's thermal protection. I'll go over to check on the pump and it will be out on reset and the shelter is warm inside. I've checked all the voltage and amperage and they are dead on. So the only thing I can come up with is that the shelter is getting too warm and the motor is kicking off. There is chicken light in there too keep it warm at night so the releaser and pumps don't freeze. So........

I need to come up with a way to ventilate the shelter without having to go over there every morning and every night to open and shut the door and reset the pump. Has anyone set up a ventilation system for the same reason? I'm thinking a bathroom fart fan with louvers or something of the sort. Just not sure if the CFM would be enough to keep the shelter cool. Lemme know. Thanks in advance. Sorry about the sideways pics, I can't figure it out.

Brian
03-16-2023, 07:05 PM
put the pump out side, build a shelf on the side of your building

BradWilson
03-17-2023, 02:24 PM
I’ve certainly considered it but I’m concerned about keeping the pump warm enough for start up.

TapTapTap
03-17-2023, 06:28 PM
I think you can simplify it with just an off the shelf aluminum louver with a screen. So long as you keep it running i think it will provide adequate cooling by passive ventilation. You might need to make a cover for when you shut the pump down during cold weather.
Ken

heus
03-17-2023, 09:32 PM
Try just blowing air on it with a small fan.

maple flats
03-17-2023, 09:59 PM
You may also want to put the "chicken light" on a thermostat. It might be adding too much heat when it's warmer outside.

DrTimPerkins
03-18-2023, 10:49 AM
You may also want to put the "chicken light" on a thermostat. It might be adding too much heat when it's warmer outside.

I'd move the pump outside the box and in an open-sided structure for better air-flow and cooling. Also get one of those thermostat blocks that come on when the temps fall below 40 deg F for the chicken light. That'll keep your pump cooler and prevent overheating, but also keep the pump warm for easier start-ups.

Brian
03-18-2023, 07:22 PM
I have had oil cooled pumps out side for years and they start up fine when the sap is ready to run. I had a osr that sat outside on the ground with no cover or anything on it, go out and kick the snow away and turn it on and away it went. that was a great pump but I out grew it.

BradWilson
03-19-2023, 08:35 AM
I'd move the pump outside the box and in an open-sided structure for better air-flow and cooling. Also get one of those thermostat blocks that come on when the temps fall below 40 deg F for the chicken light. That'll keep your pump cooler and prevent overheating, but also keep the pump warm for easier start-ups.

I've haven't had issues with the Gould's transfer pump. There are enough "vents" with the holes for the hoses. I was just concerned about putting the rotary vane pump outside because of "warm up" and possible water in the pump freezing. But it sounds like the best idea so far. Thanks all.

BradWilson
03-19-2023, 08:36 AM

I've haven't had issues with the Gould's transfer pump. There are enough "vents" with the holes for the hoses. I was just concerned about putting the rotary vane pump outside because of "warm up" and possible water in the pump freezing. But it sounds like the best idea so far. Thanks all.

Brian
03-19-2023, 08:48 AM
If you are worried about the pump getting ice in the bottom and the vains breaking, turn it over by hand before you turn it on. I had an old condie with a gas engine and ran that for years in a woods and never had a problem.