PDA

View Full Version : Maple sugar is taffy instead

Greenthumb
03-14-2023, 07:38 AM
So I’m thinking my syrup was too old dark etc. after learning about “sugar invert” and maple syrup after the fact . I tried making sugar from a few quarts of last years Syrup that was left over. Needless to say one hand mixer later and a hour or more on the kitchen aide mixer I have a lump of maple taffy - very tasty but not much crystal and no where near sugar. I took it to 260(based on my location that put me 50 degrees above boiling and then put in a bowl to mix . Is there anything I can do with this maple goop. I mean it’s tasty so I wonder if it can go in fridge and I use to cook with . Or could I add more sap or permeate and reboil? Just wondering as I’m new to the sugar world and obviously had a learning curve here. Thanks

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2023, 08:10 AM
Add water (just a little) and reboil. Or find uses for it as is. From the sounds of it, the invert is just too high to allow decent crystallization.

Greenthumb
03-14-2023, 08:15 AM
Can I just use well water or would permeate be best? Thanks for your reply

ecolbeck
03-14-2023, 08:38 AM
I think either would be fine.

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2023, 08:46 AM
Can I just use well water or would permeate be best? Thanks for your reply

Shouldn't matter. You could even use sap as long as you boil the mixture for at least a little bit (to kill whatever is in the sap).