PDA

View Full Version : Norway Maples

DaveB
01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I saw a post in this forum from 2003 about Norway Maples and I'm wondering if it makes sense taping them. I have a couple around my yard and one in the woods that I could add to my mix, but I had no idea they had sweet sap.

I saw several sites on the 'Net that said they were rarely tapped but one (from Minnesota) that said it produced a milky sap and it was unsuitable. So, what's the real story here?

Does anyone know if you can tap Norway Maples and if you can, will it effect the flavor too much? I'd hate to make a batch and find that it has an off flavor.

Thanks.

Dave

maple flats
01-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't know but I have not heard of it being used, I am sure it is not because it was never tried.
Dave

DaveB
01-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I should add that I also read that the sugar content is low. I'm not sure if that effects the decision to tap or not, but I thought I would add that.

I'm thinking that if it will not effect the flavor of a batch of maple syrup (I'd mix the sap in with all my other sap), I might try it. It would be nice to know if someone else has already done this though.

Dave

peacemaker
01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
in the producers guide it says "the sap of a norway maple is not commonly used commercially to produce maple syrup ,but atleast one study in ontario by H.C.Larson and P.Jaciw reported that the norway maples tested had good quailty sap with sugar content often approaching that of sugar maples ,and that sugar maple and norway syrups were selected almost eqaully by taste panel. "...so i would say try it

softmaple
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
norways are 90% or more of what we tap. they leak like crazy and have roughly 2 to 3% sap. the only white milky sap that comes out is in the summer when the leaves are out and you break a leaf. if i had the choice between reds and norways i would definitely pick norways. the taste is fantastic too.

peacemaker
01-30-2008, 08:47 PM
thats what i heard also ..i tapped one dont laugh in jersey over xmas just to show the folks down there what its all about ... made a small amount was nice very sweet

tuckermtn
01-30-2008, 11:31 PM
see posts by mike n ri in the Tapping section...I might have to give some of the ones around here in BC a try...