PDA

View Full Version : brass vs. stainless valves

tuckermtn
01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I've got a basic question- trying to put togther a low-budget flat pan similar to a half-pint. What are the pros and cons of using a cheaper hardware store brass 1/2" draw-off valve over a 1/2" stainless valve? was also going to do a valve out of the "pre-heater" pan...

so its brass vs. stainless...

thanks

tuckermtn

maplecrest
01-30-2008, 06:49 PM
brass, has lead in it, stainless does not

NH Maplemaker
01-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Tuckermtn, The valve and some fitting on my Dallalre (CDL ) That was new a few year back came with brass!! I have been tested for lead several time and alway tested very low!! When drawing off, the syrup spends very little time in the valve. So a temp deal like your putting to gether I would not worry about it!!
Now a days long term, yes!! I'm looking to change mine for that reason. Jim L.

markct
01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
so whats the general concensous on the brass valves that are plated to the color of stainless, i believe its nickel or chrome, i have heard some old timers refer to it as dairy brass. i used one of them for a drawoff valve on mine, not cause i was worried about the tiny amount of lead it might pick up, but just cause it looked less outa place on the stainless pan, but i suppose the plating would seperate it from the lead in the brass

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Go with brass if you are not looking to spend much money, they will work good, a ton cheaper, last a long time and a lot easier to find. Some of them have plastic inside, might try to get one without plastic.

Father & Son
01-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm going to replace a couple of fittings and one valve and decided to go with all stainless just for uniformity. Compare prices at this site. Just looking at the two catalogs that came the last couple days I saved some cash!

http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/index.htm

Jim

jemsklein
01-31-2008, 06:41 AM
you know how we got chaep valves we whent to home bepo and bought stainless steel 3/4 for $15 when that web site is $22 plus shipping

forester1
01-31-2008, 07:37 AM
It's possible to get cheap stainless valves on ebay. I just bought new 1 1/2" stainless valves for $10 each.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-31-2008, 08:35 AM
He's only looking for something temporary for this year only and usually you can find the brass a lot easier somewhere local vs buying online and paying shipping and etc is why I suggested those.

SeanD
01-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Do any of you know an estimated flow rate for 1/2" , 3/4", or a 1" ball valve? I get about 6gph out of my flat pan and would like an appropriate valve size for my preheater and maybe draw offs on the pan if that goes well. I don't want to leave myself short, but don't want to stick a gigantic piece and fitting on there if it doesn't need it.

brookledge
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
At 6 gph a 1/2" valve would be all you need
Keith

Grade "A"
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm not questioning if there is lead in brass because I have no idea but if there is it makes you think about your drinking water. Most water lines I have seen have had brass fittings somewhere in them. I know that I drink alot more water than I do syrup.

jemsklein
01-31-2008, 07:11 PM
or what about your copper pipes what are they soderd with

Dave Y
01-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Your copper pipes should be soldered with lead free solder.

jemsklein
01-31-2008, 07:37 PM
not if they are 30 years old

mapleack
02-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Do any of you know an estimated flow rate for 1/2" , 3/4", or a 1" ball valve? I get about 6gph out of my flat pan and would like an appropriate valve size for my preheater and maybe draw offs on the pan if that goes well. I don't want to leave myself short, but don't want to stick a gigantic piece and fitting on there if it doesn't need it.

At 6gph, a 1/2 valve on your preheater should be fine and perhaps even offer better adjustment. As for drawoffs, I wouldnt go under 3/4", there'll be less chance of sugar sand / scale plugging the valve up at an inopportune time!

SeanD
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Okay, cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably play it safe and go with SS, but a good point was made about the potable water in our houses. All the valves downstairs in my basement are brass. Maybe there's some reaction at high heat that can draw lead from the brass?

forester1
02-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Any one thing would not add a lot of lead. It would be cumulative.