PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Shack Food

dugit
03-06-2023, 08:59 AM
What is your Sugar Shack eats.Do you have meals in the shack? We do!! Wife will make pancakes or french toast and bring it to the shack. We have a spear in the shack for brats and hotdogs. We hard boil eggs in the finish pan. how about you, whats your go to food?

NhShaun
03-06-2023, 09:58 AM
I have a little 4 burner stove from an old camper in my shack. We cook all sorts of stuff during the season and try to use the sap or syrup when doing so. Like maple glazed chicken and beans cooked in sap. We also brew our french press coffee using sap, or a mug with sap from the middle pan and drop in a few tea bags.

eustis22
03-06-2023, 10:16 AM
Toaster oven in shack for cinnamon french toast sticks, hotdogs boiled in the pan.

Shakersugar
03-06-2023, 03:49 PM
We did a roast chicken under the grates awhile back. Some times potluck stuff if a small crowd is expected. French press coffee with sap instead of water seems popular.

Pdiamond
03-06-2023, 07:37 PM
How do you afford the eggs to boil?

dugit
03-07-2023, 07:04 AM
Got 12 hens. Get 10 eggs a day. Got 9 dozen in the fridge now. come on down , I'll give ya a couple dozen.

Pdiamond
03-07-2023, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the offer. I get mine from my niece. They have a farm and have the animals I use to have. Nothing is better than a fresh egg.

bigschuss
03-07-2023, 07:42 PM
Yep...hot dogs or brats boiled in the pan and buns warmed by the steam. All kinds of snacks with friends and family. Sugar on snow for dessert. And my favorite...50/50 shots of warm syrup from the pan with Fireball whiskey.

TapTapTap
03-07-2023, 08:41 PM
Monkey bread dipped in hot syrup.

dugit
03-07-2023, 09:16 PM
Wash the monkey bread down with the syrup and whiskey. Seriously, all of the ideas sound good.Boiling the meat in the syrup sounds a little strange but if you guys do it, must be it doesn't contaminate the syrup. I can see where it would add maple flavor to the brats and dogs

Pdiamond
03-08-2023, 07:07 PM
The monkey bread dipped in hot syrup sounds sooooo yummy! I can just picture that sweet sticky mess.

Pdiamond
03-08-2023, 07:10 PM
That has been done for a long, long time. My father in law use to tell me about his grandfather cooking a piece of pork in the syrup while they made it.

TapTapTap
03-09-2023, 06:04 AM
The monkey bread dipped in hot syrup sounds sooooo yummy! I can just picture that sweet sticky mess.

It's easy to easy to serve and eat in the sugarhouse. We break into knots and provide a small paper plate. Pour syrup on it directly from the canner and eat with fingers.

Aaron Stack
03-09-2023, 04:12 PM
Yep...hot dogs or brats boiled in the pan and buns warmed by the steam. All kinds of snacks with friends and family. Sugar on snow for dessert. And my favorite...50/50 shots of warm syrup from the pan with Fireball whiskey.

Oh my bigschuss. THAT sounds wonderful

bigschuss
03-09-2023, 04:28 PM
Oh my bigschuss. THAT sounds wonderful

Give it a try this spring Aaron! One of my favorite things about sugarin' season.

Blair

wlatrout
03-13-2023, 05:47 PM
I eat MRE's for lunch and the wife brings supper down to me.

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2023, 08:02 AM
Sorry to inject a downer on this nice thread, but while cooking food directly in the pan is a fine tradition, keep in mind that if you are SELLING your syrup, this is not an acceptable practice for a variety of reasons. Even eating in sap processing and syrup production areas is frowned upon.

Hkb82
03-14-2023, 09:27 AM
I’m with the Dr. Probably not a good idea cooking in your shack let alone your syrup pan if you going to be retailing your syrup to the public. If it’s just for you then cook on I guess. My grandpa used to say that pouched eggs are amazing cooked in syrup. I’m sure he probably did it in his syrup pan lol. Coffee is the only thing I usually take to the shack with me. Maybe a few granola bars or whatever I steal from the kids lunch snacks.