PDA

View Full Version : vermiculite

danno
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I called a local distributor for vermiculite and he said "what kind do you want, the kind for insulating attics or putting in concrete foundation blocks"?

Anybody know the differance of if there is a preferance for using in the arch?

I forgotten how much I enjoy bricking an arch;) Is it just me or does everyone wind up cutting just about every brick to get that "just right" fit?

Dave Y
01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Danno,
no difference on the vermiculite, it is that one is courser than the other. I got mine at Agway ,it is for potting soil. I laid some arch board on top of it.

tuckermtn
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I also used the courser stuff- layed ceramic blanket over top...

maple flats
01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Just make sure it does not have foam beads in it, you need straight vermiculite. The cheapest source for it is a greenhouse supplier. I got mine from one, needed 12 cu ft and they had 4 cu ft bags for about $12.50. Before that i priced it at Lowe's in their garden dept, would have cost over $250 and I paid about $38. This was last year. Danno, you can get it at a place called Markowski (or something like that), just north of the thruway exit 36. I think it was Boss Rd or just off Boss Road. They sell to large greenhouses.

jbetourney
01-31-2008, 06:06 PM
danno, I work in a lumber yard and we had a broken bag of vermic. perlight in the yard. so i brought it home to put in the bottom of my 2x8 under the flu pan. i put a piece of hardie board over the top off it. looks like it will work good pluss alot less weight on the arch.

danno
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks everybody - Maple Flats, I just got back from Wilkowski's (or whatever they are called). Their prices are still the same:)