PDA

View Full Version : DE and Organtic?

TheNamelessPoet
03-03-2023, 10:10 AM
So I know that if you use DE in filtering it is not adding it to the syrup, but is it still considered organic? Like Legally, I am sure it is fine to use as far as food grade (or is that a bad assumption lol), but what about the legal ramifications?

ecp
03-03-2023, 10:16 AM
It's odd how they do it.

If you use DE even though it is filter media that is removed, you cannot market your syrup at 100% organic. You can still get organic certified (needed to market anything as organic) but the product is not considered 100% organic syrup it is just considered organic syrup. Yes, you can laugh now : lol:

TheNamelessPoet
03-03-2023, 10:42 AM
It's odd how they do it.

If you use DE even though it is filter media that is removed, you cannot market your syrup at 100% organic. You can still get organic certified (needed to market anything as organic) but the product is not considered 100% organic syrup it is just considered organic syrup. Yes, you can laugh now : lol:

Oh I laugh in general at the Organic, 1/2 if it is a scam and not done properly, AND people don't understand what organic means. Here is a perfect example. i bet 99.9% of people who buy mostly organic when available (not poking fun at all, I get it) have NO idea that 100% organic and organic do not men the same thing.

ecp
03-03-2023, 11:51 AM
Thats the beauty of marketing my friend (and that is every industry not just maple). I'll admit I am organically certified producer (you can poke fun all you want). I do think the paperwork and tracking side is generally good for the industry, but some things are a little silly. I think the DE rule it that way because they know there is no way around using it so there had to be some compromise. Truth be told the packers are selling organic syrup really well while conventional syrup is getting harder to sell and the customers are paying the premium. The person down south going into a publics grocery store has absolutely no clue that the only guaranteed difference is the defoamer that's being used, but gladly pays a higher price. I am glad they do though.