PDA

View Full Version : Check Valve Adapters Breaking

BradWilson
03-03-2023, 06:55 AM
Mornin All,

Just finished tapping and had a first time experience with the CVAs Out of 450 taps I had 4 of the CVAs break when tapping the stub spouts into place. I've never had it happen before. It wasn't too cold and I wasn't trying to "drive em home" either. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Next year we're replacing all of our drops and will be switching to regular CVs and cutting them off each year.

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2023, 07:37 AM
What are you using for a hammer?

ennismaple
03-03-2023, 12:17 PM
Mornin All,

Just finished tapping and had a first time experience with the CVAs Out of 450 taps I had 4 of the CVAs break when tapping the stub spouts into place. I've never had it happen before. It wasn't too cold and I wasn't trying to "drive em home" either. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Next year we're replacing all of our drops and will be switching to regular CVs and cutting them off each year. I assume you're using the clear polycarbonate CV's? We used them one season and didn't have this issue but have heard of it.

tcross
03-03-2023, 02:14 PM
i've never had any break while tapping. however i did have a good amount (probably 5-10 per bag) that the tip with the check valve missing this year!

TapTapTap
03-04-2023, 03:41 PM
Mornin All,

Just finished tapping and had a first time experience with the CVAs Out of 450 taps I had 4 of the CVAs break when tapping the stub spouts into place. I've never had it happen before. It wasn't too cold and I wasn't trying to "drive em home" either. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Next year we're replacing all of our drops and will be switching to regular CVs and cutting them off each year.

First year on new drops won't need CVs. Regular spouts are 1/2 the price.
Ken

BradWilson
03-05-2023, 09:27 AM
What are you using for a hammer?

I'm using a tapping mallet with a polycarbonate head. Same one I've used for the last 4-5 years. Can't understand. Like I said it's never happened before.

BradWilson
03-05-2023, 09:30 AM
First year on new drops won't need CVs. Regular spouts are 1/2 the price.
Ken

Like I said, I'm changing all the drops next year and will eliminate the stub spouts for regular CVs. I've used the CVs for the last 10 years and I gather more sap than I can boil. I love em.

TapTapTap
03-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Like I said, I'm changing all the drops next year and will eliminate the stub spouts for regular CVs. I've used the CVs for the last 10 years and I gather more sap than I can boil. I love em.

I'm saying there is no need for CV spouts in your first year drops. Buy the $0.23 spouts (non-cv) and save the money.

Ken

maple flats
03-05-2023, 08:04 PM
I think over the years I had 2 or 3 break out of likely 6000+, and it was never ones I installed, always others. You may be hitting them too hard or maybe a bad batch.

Sunday Rock Maple
03-06-2023, 04:54 AM
We had the same issue with CVA's (intermittent and seemed to be dependant on the bag not the person taping -- and yes we were using plastic taping mallets). Ended up cutting the stubby's off and switching to a much cheaper spout.

markcasper
03-07-2023, 12:25 AM
Like I said, I'm changing all the drops next year and will eliminate the stub spouts for regular CVs. I've used the CVs for the last 10 years and I gather more sap than I can boil. I love em. Yup, many around here condemn them into the ground and say I am throwing money away. The GPT cannot be matched however. Very cheap insurance is the way I look at it, been using them since year one!

Amber Gold
03-07-2023, 01:34 PM
Markcasper...my philosophy too.

We heads break off on the CV2's every year...say 2-3 out of ~900 installed. I think it's just a bad spout when it was manufactured...not sure though. I'm OK with having a .22% failure rate...