PDA

View Full Version : Sight Glasses on Silverplate's (2) Float Boxes

OrangeAgain
03-02-2023, 05:05 PM
I have a 2'X6' raised flue Silverplate evaporator and would like to know how important sight glasses are. Each float box can have its own sight glass.

I have never boiled before.

Your advice and experience will be greatly appreciated.

heus
03-02-2023, 07:06 PM
Both are helpful but definitely get the one for the rear float box.

Pdiamond
03-02-2023, 08:04 PM
I am surprised you did not get them with the float boxes. I have them on both of mine. It helps maintain the incoming sap level on the rear/back float box and control the depth for the syrup pan on the other. I like to run my flue pan at 1 1/4" over the flues and the syrup pan at 2". It tough to see the liquid levels when the pans are boiling with all the steam being made. Even with the sight glasses I still double check with an old stick I've had forever.

OrangeAgain
03-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Actually I ordered and paid for two sight glasses for my Silverplate that were delivered on 12.1.22. I ordered many of the bells and whistles that go with the Silverplate. I never fully unpacked all the many boxes and foam-wrapped parts until last week and discovered that I don't have the two sight glasses. Everything I received were and still are in my garage / workshop. I have thoroughly searched several times for the sight glasses without success. My bad for not immediately, after delivery, unpacking the shipment, checking against the packing slip and discovering the sight glasses were missing soon after 12.1.22. My understanding is that Smoky Lake's policies / practices don't apply this far beyond the actual delivery date so I am trying to figure out how important the sight glasses are.

VTnewguy
03-03-2023, 03:35 AM
For as much money a new evaporator runs SL should be able to overnight you sight glasses. They are not critical to run a evaporator, but boy they are **** handy especially if you have hoods. I wonder if another brand would have the glass you need in the short term?

Ross
03-03-2023, 05:47 AM
Call and tell them. Don't suffer in silence.

It would be insane to run without sight glasses.

OrangeAgain
03-03-2023, 06:00 AM
Call and tell them. Don't suffer in silence.

It would be insane to run without sight glasses.

I have had lengthy email discussions, with an owner of Smoky Lake Maple, about the missing deluxe sight glasses for float boxes (2 X $160). They are convinced the glasses were shipped and received by me. You would think at 79+ years old, I would have learned to have unpacked everything and checked the shipment against the packing slip right after receiving but I had many other things to tend to and because I believed, and still do, Smoky Lake Maple is a very well run business, I depended upon their shipping process to ship what I ordered.

johnallin
03-03-2023, 01:39 PM
You should be able to come up with a solution.
Doesn’t look good for the manufacturer to not want a satisfied customer.
Possibly split the cost and call it a day?

Pdiamond
03-03-2023, 06:00 PM
Call them and tell them you didn't have them in the shipment.

LMP Maple
03-04-2023, 10:39 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes. This will be my next upgrade to my front pans. I really would like a sight glass on my front pan in particular. It takes some of the guesswork out of it. The back pan I am not sure I would need/want. As others have said you will be glad you have them particularly if you are already set up for them. I have to visit my stainless guy to set my pan up for next year with the sight gauge. I have ordered a few things from Smokeylake and have been very impressed with their service. Their videos are great as well.