PDA

View Full Version : Young sugarbush

gmcooper
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I have a section of maples that are younger trees. I have been thinning for a few years and still have more to due in part of it. The ground is fairly fertile, good sun exposure and ample moisture. The growth rings on some of the thinned trees have been 1/4"-1/2". That was on the culled trees. Currently there are 25 tappable trees there now with 30 more 5+/- years down the road. Area is approx 1/2 acre curved and longer than wide. Needs a 150' section of mainline to reach the area.

My question is would you run the lines in and tap the ones that are large enough now. Or would you wait and tap 5 years from now with most all of them tappable? I made my decision in the woods today cutting brush just want to see what everyone else would do.

Before some one asks we have ample capacity to add all of them on our vacuum system. We could use the extra syrup, but we would survive with out it.
Mark

royalmaple
01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Mark-

With that ring pump you got now, your still thinking... You know my vote.

You don't have too much tubing to put out to get them. Install the main so you can pick up the other 30 later on. So you've done the job right the first time and let them ripen up. Get their sisters online now.

jemsklein
01-30-2008, 08:09 AM
yah like matt said install the main line so all you have to do later is run your 5/16 to the newer trees when they are ready good luck

maple flats
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree with Royalmaple, do it now, the price of syrup will be up this year wholesale and therefor has to be up retail if you price it right.

HHM-07
01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Mark
I would say it depends how old you are if you are over 75 you may want to tap them all this year. Ha Ha!!!

Dick @ Hobby Hill Maples
170taps all on line
2x4 woodfired

gmcooper
01-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Well I am well under 75. However my great uncle who owns that property is 81. He's still quite active, this fall he was cutting wood, and building a road on the farm with his backhoe. Cold weather shut him down for the winter.

Thought I might see a few more replies on this before I let out what my decision was.
Mark

Russell Lampron
01-31-2008, 05:22 AM
I would string up the mainline and tap the tapable ones now. With the vacuum the mainline etc should pay for itself this year.

Russ

Dave Y
01-31-2008, 05:44 AM
Well If I know sugarmakers the way I think I know sugarmakers, we already know what your decision is. but in case you need some help; I would run the maline and put on the tap able trees,and lay it out for future expansion. That my opinion.

cncaboose
01-31-2008, 11:16 AM
You could just use buckets for now. That way you won't have to worry about damaging lines if you do more thinning in there over the next few years. Plus you can do it at the last minute with minimal cost if you have a few buckets around. Besides it is good exercise and would remind you how some of us collect all our sap.

gmcooper
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
CNCABOOSE, The trees in question are 800' from where I get the truck to to pick up sap there. Buckets are not an option, been there done that.

gmcooper
02-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Well to finish this thread I had planned to wait before tapping any of this area. My thoughts were let them all grow and finish thinning the far end before tapping any of them. I figured I would get a bunch of real conservative replies on here. Guess the price of syrup has changed that.
I picked up the mainline this morning and enough tubing to finish everything left. Tomorrow I plan to get main line up and laterals run on that section.

Mark