PDA

View Full Version : What should the sap in the line look like?

Swingpure
02-21-2023, 06:01 PM
Just wondering in the perfect line with no leaks, would you see any bubbles in the lines?

If some bubbles are present in the perfect line, how many should you see?

Thanks

Gary

Pdiamond
02-21-2023, 07:12 PM
The bubbles are okay in the lines Gary. They are actually the gases produced by the tree. When you have a leak you will have a lot of little tiny ones running really fast because that is air getting in.

Swingpure
02-21-2023, 07:25 PM
The bubbles are okay in the lines Gary. They are actually the gases produced by the tree. When you have a leak you will have a lot of little tiny ones running really fast because that is air getting in.

That is very helpful and reassuring.

Thanks!

Brian
02-21-2023, 08:38 PM
Ringlets are ok, but the sap should never go down the line faster than a person can walk!! if it is sitting still that is perfect.

Brian
02-21-2023, 08:39 PM
If the sap looks like it is sitting that is perfect.

Swingpure
02-21-2023, 09:45 PM
I found an article on line that Dr Perkins wrote that said as long as you are not on vacuum the presence of bubbles are not of a big concern as long as there is no obvious sap leaking.

In the article for those on vacuums he referred to small bubbles. The bubbles I have are oblong shape about a half inch or a little more long. I would take a picture, but the lines will not run for a couple more weeks again.

But seeing how I am not on vacuum it may not matter either way.

Brian
02-22-2023, 06:18 AM
Yes it does, the bigger the leak the more air is interduced,the faster the sap will flow down the tubing.

82cabby
02-22-2023, 08:19 AM
Probably gasses from the trees but worth checking.
When the sap is flowing good again, walk the lines. Start at the collection point and work your way up stream keeping an eye on the bubbles. If you have many more bubbles on the downstream side of a fitting than the upstream, you have a leak. If one of your taps is introducing a steady stream of bubbles it’s leaking air. If the sap is really flowing you can hear the leak. My biggest culprits are squirrels chewing through the lines and taps that have cracked.
I use the disposable, one season taps and always have one or two that crack and leak air.

RC Maple
02-22-2023, 08:51 AM
I've had a "pilot project" with the few tapable trees behind my house. Last year was the first go-around for the 5/16" tubing runs on flat ground. This year I made improvements - the manifold is now more leak free which has helped boost vacuum levels on the gauges at the end of the lines and at the manifold. I noticed I wasn't getting the levels I got when testing at the house and found Saturday my biggest leak came from a tap in one of the trunks on a multi-trunk silver maple. No leaks in the tubing but the sap was running slow until it got to that drop and then the bubbles were flying. I checked the tap hole and found no moisture there, so I unplugged the tap and put the end of the drop back on the tee. My vacuum went from 17 to 21 at the manifold and all 3 lines got a similar boost. I don't see any more lines running fast like that one did but I can see where I have bubbles that seem to be just sitting there. When pressure testing the manifold at 25 psi in a water bath and also hooked up with the 3 lines clamped off, I could get 25.5-26 psi. so with some more minor detection I should be able to go a little higher. I do notice a disposable tap like like 82cabby mentioned that the drop is full of tiny bubbles. Is that most likely a cracked tap and not just a gassy tree?:D