PDA

View Full Version : what are the curent retail prices

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
i was wondering what is everone selling there retail syrup for and what size is selling most

mfchef54
01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
try the thread under Tapping NY 2008 syrup prices

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
try the thread under Tapping NY 2008 syrup prices

thanks i found what i was looking for

ennismaple
01-29-2008, 09:43 PM
i was wondering what is everone selling there retail syrup for and what size is selling most

There's a report by Dave Chapeskie (sp?) on the OMSPA website about production province wide and what the average prices were the past few years. I sell more 1L jugs than anything @ $17.

jemsklein
01-30-2008, 07:24 AM
well i have bin getting $18 - $20 for a liter sound like i have bin doing very good

maple maniac65
01-31-2008, 05:51 AM
2008 prices

retail

gallons $46.00
1/2 gal $25.00
quart $16.00
pint $8.50
1/2pt $5.50
3.4 $3.50

Wholesale

g- 42.00
1/2g -21.00
quart-11.00
pt-6.00
1/2pt-3.65
3.4-2.05

It may sound steep but the wholesalers are paying 2.40/lb right now and the price is only going up. Where it stops nobody knows, but even with Canada having 96 million lbs in storage it will not be enough to feed the world market.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-31-2008, 08:30 AM
But we have to be careful of raising the prices so high we turn off the retail market and then 5 years from now our market is half what it is now and then you can't give it away. I have a business degree and I understand economics very well and I understand how supply and demand drives prices very well, but in my opinion, we need to work to produce more syrup, not drive the prices where people can't afford them and then they are turned off by what they feel is greed and a luxury they can no longer afford.

softmaple
01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
we also have to be carefull not to give this stuff away. all the equipment manufactures are rasing their prices skyhigh and all you guys are still buying it. in the near future it will no longer be feasible to produce maple syrup for the small guys. if people want this high quality product there still going to pay for it. no one has a problem paying 20 bucks for cigs or beer thats gone in a flash. i have no problem selling out every year at my prices nor does people selling it higher then mine. just my thought. ( if i said "Just my 2 cents" it would be on the verge of giving that away too. )

Sugarmaster
01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Good Morning everyone, This is the Sugarmaster's secretary/manager here. For the guys who are having trouble pricing their syrup (like Me) I found in one of my maple bibles a formula for pricing plastic jugs. Take what you have to sell your gal for, say $40.00. For a 1/2 gal it is 57% of the gal around $22.80. A qt is 30%, a pt is 19% and a 1/2 pt would be 11%. We then juggle a little to make things even. Hope this helps some.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I am not disagreeing on raising prices, I am just saying the market is good now and is expanding and the last thing we want it to do is go the other way and with the all the ????'s about the economy, fuel prices and the other concerns, maple syrup is not a neccessity and most would consider it more in the line of a luxury item. I raised my prices to $ 12 quart and $ 7 pint before last season which was a $ 1 per jug increase. I would like to raise them again, but will wait another year or two. This averages out to $ 50 per gallon and I am happy with that.

I know most of us would like to make a little money or at least break even, I am just suggesting that large increases in price especially at one time are going to hurt in the long run.

Just like OJ, with the bad freezes last spring it nearly doubled in price and I used to buy it every week, but now I have bought 1 jug in the last six months. I don't need it that bad.

Brent
01-31-2008, 10:45 AM
when setting prices, remember

pigs get fat
hogs get slaughtered

NH Maplemaker
01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I can see both sides of this argument!! Four years a go we changed over to oil ! That was like selling your well to your neighbor in the middle of a drought!! Evan though it is cleaner, fast, and a time saver,the coast of fuel has hit all time highs !! But on the other side of the coin, I have worked very very hard to make my sugar house the one of choice for my friends and neighbors and to finely have large numbers of them coming to me for there syrup and maple products feels good. As Brandon said, these are the people that will still be here for us if and when the slump comes again!! So will I go up on my prices? Yes, but only as much as needed to make a REASONABLE profit. I think that at some point working folks will have to say I can"t afford it!! Jim L.

softmaple
01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
its about rasing it reasonably and not for shots and giggles. if you have raised your price in the last 2 years its not right to raise it again this year because of a blip in the market. it means that your prices where too cheap in the first place. if you can afford to break close to even evey year then keep them the same. if your cheaper then all the people around you. you are hurting you your friends and your neighbors by keeping the price low and thats what people will accept as the going price for your market

ennismaple
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
if you can afford to break close to even evey year then keep them the same. if your cheaper then all the people around you. you are hurting you your friends and your neighbors by keeping the price low and thats what people will accept as the going price for your market

That depends on the size of operation. We have a very LARGE investment of both cash and labour in our sugar bush and if we only broke even we'd be better off staying small like yourself. Your syrup is worth what people are willing to pay for it.