PDA

View Full Version : Quick fix for line leak?

ADK_XJ
02-13-2023, 06:54 PM
Hey all, anyone have a good, quick fix approach for a small air leak in a line of tubing? I'm hoping to temporarily cover the spot where air is clearly pouring into the line (it's 3/16th in case it matters) until I can run a new section from one drop to the next.

Teflon tape?

toquin
02-13-2023, 07:17 PM
Electrical tape,tight

Trends
02-13-2023, 07:19 PM
You could try electrical tape as a quick temp fix.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-13-2023, 08:00 PM
More specifically, Scotch 33+ electrical tape. Never go in the woods with out it and flagging.

buckeye gold
02-14-2023, 05:55 AM
I used to tape them, but anymore I have about 50 feet of tubing and my work bucket in the UTV whenever I go into the bush. I fix them when I find them. It takes very lttle time to clamp on the tubing tool and put in a coupler. I try to leave enough slack to undo a side tie and pull some line.

ronintank
02-14-2023, 06:37 AM
same here electrical tape will fix a small chew. it also marks the line for future repair.

ADK_XJ
02-14-2023, 07:36 PM
Thanks, all - electricians tape it is!

peteinvermont
02-15-2023, 10:53 AM
I've actually had pretty good luck putting a splice in, as an alternative to replacing the lateral from drop to drop. I clamp the line on the upstream and downstream side of the chew hole, then cut the spot out, press a splice in, then release my clamps. I know, replacing the entire section is the better way to go, but the splices have worked great for me. They're cheap, air tight, and if you clamp the lines on both sides when you put them in, you don't lose any significant vacuum.

maple flats
02-15-2023, 07:09 PM
Only high end electrical tape, cheap tape will not work as well, poorer adhesion and too thick to stretch as well.

ADK_XJ
02-15-2023, 07:39 PM
I've actually had pretty good luck putting a splice in, as an alternative to replacing the lateral from drop to drop. I clamp the line on the upstream and downstream side of the chew hole, then cut the spot out, press a splice in, then release my clamps. I know, replacing the entire section is the better way to go, but the splices have worked great for me. They're cheap, air tight, and if you clamp the lines on both sides when you put them in, you don't lose any significant vacuum. That makes complete sense and would ideally be what i would do however i dont have a tubing tool and usually am working by myself. I probably need to just break down and buy one!

amasonry
02-16-2023, 05:13 AM
if you can weld, you can make a tubing tool for 40 dollars

blissville maples
02-28-2023, 07:46 AM
That makes complete sense and would ideally be what i would do however i dont have a tubing tool and usually am working by myself. I probably need to just break down and buy one!

Push it in with your hands!! I never have a tool with me!!

ADK_XJ
02-28-2023, 07:51 PM
Push it in with your hands!! I never have a tool with me!! That's what I do now...hot water and hand strength.

ADK_XJ
03-01-2023, 07:21 PM
if you can weld, you can make a tubing tool for 40 dollars I've seen a few videos but none seemed too easy for a welding hack like me...

blissville maples
03-12-2023, 08:56 AM
Buyone of the line hooks. Like a second set of hands