PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with bleeding around taps, once they're in?

linearb
02-13-2023, 11:58 AM
I have 65 of 150 taps or so in, in northern VT. (1500', lots of snowpack still, just starting to get runs).

I'm putting in a sap guzzler this year and I am using angled clear plastic splines from CDL.

some of the trees that I've tapped over the last 24hrs and especially today, show some bleeding around the tap. I'm not used to this and take it as a sign I may have pounded those taps in too vigorously.

I am using a correctly sized tapping bit and a high RPM portable drill.

I'll be more mindful of tapping more carefully, but I have maybe 5-10 taps that are exhibiting this significantly (several that were put in this morning, stuff tapped yesterday is not doing this as much).

Should I revisit these taps and pull them/do anything, or just hope that any gaps around the tap fill in over the next few days?

Obviously, if any of the splines are screwed up enough to cause a vacuum fail, I'll have to remove them, and either retap the tree or just seal that T off for the year.

Suggestions appreciated, I am hoping to set up the sap guzzler later today and turn it on to the first 55 taps on one side of mainline and see what happens.

DrTimPerkins
02-13-2023, 12:37 PM
Leave them alone. Some weeping outside the taphole is normal for a short time ( day or two).

linearb
02-13-2023, 12:59 PM
Leave them alone. Some weeping outside the taphole is normal for a short time ( day or two).

Thanks! doing nothing is always easier than doing something!!

DrTimPerkins
02-13-2023, 06:36 PM
If they keep weeping beyond several days, give them one sharp rap with the tapping hammer.

Gord
02-14-2023, 01:57 PM
This is my first year trying a few plastic taps. I had the same thing happen on a few, and they stopped weeping and dried up after a couple days. As said above, when one or two got stubborn I gave them another rap with the tapping hammer and got the same results.

linearb
02-16-2023, 01:27 AM
great advice, thanks, I had one tap that was still bleeding and one whack made it start to fill.

I got up to full vacuum from a sap guzzler diaphram pump today so I assume everything is sealed pretty well.