PDA

View Full Version : Brix sensor help

TheNamelessPoet
02-08-2023, 01:52 PM
So, I am learning about the Arduino and it has me thinking.

Is there a sensor that can be hooked up to a single board computer? I know there are digital units, but is there a way, to suspend it in sap, to get a reading that is very close, and have it output directly to the PCB? I know once that is done what to do with it, but finding one, that either sits in the sap as it is boiling, or something like that? I'd rather it be in the pan instead of having to draw some off, but if I need to take a little out and drop it on it that's not catastrophic for now.

This is kit of sensors for it.
https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Upgraded-Tutorial-Compatible-MEGA2560/dp/B01MG49ZQ5/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_w=XWxWZ&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=A5K06127D93E0T4KP85M&pd_rd_wg=I11NB&pd_rd_r=3d85de7b-72b1-4d6b-a2d9-4fc450097b6f&pd_rd_i=B01MG49ZQ5&psc=1

I am looking for anything I can attach to that Arduino (preferably not USB because I have no idea how to program with them lol) to have it check every say 1 minute and record it.

More data means more information. More Data means I can learn from it.

BCPP
02-09-2023, 07:40 AM
Google arduino density sensor. I don't think there's an off the shelf one you can buy but theoretically you could build one. Appears to be two approaches, one using ultrasonic sensors at precise depths, the other using weight. For what you're trying to do it appears a load sensor and temp sensor would be easiest. Temp sensor needed to make accurate calculations. Load sensor you suspend a steel ball from the load sensor sensor, tare out the weight and then immerse the steel ball in cup of water or sap. The "floatation" on the steel ball will give a negative weight on sensor and using that with known volume of the ball and temp you can calculate density. No idea how sensitive this way is! It can also be done optically by measuring diffraction but I suspect that is not simple (or cheap!). It's much cheaper / easier to just buy a hygrometer!

TheNamelessPoet
02-09-2023, 09:23 AM
Sadly, you may be right. I am thinking I may just do the temp. It ust stinks because I like to run low in my pan, and the thermometer is well over 1/2 and inch out of the liquid.

BCPP
02-13-2023, 06:01 AM
I usually draw based on temp, occasionally double checked with hygrometer. I have a mini-pro and tip of thermometer is about 0.25" above bottom of pan.