PDA

View Full Version : 2023 season

Lonepine
02-06-2023, 11:15 AM
We're getting close. I figured I'd start the thread! Who's excited for the 2023 season?!! I'm currently getting ready and finishing up my shack and checking lines... Squirrels...

200 taps half on sureflo vac
2x6 smoky lake Corsair
12x12 shack new for 2023

Greenfin
02-07-2023, 05:19 AM
I will get the supplies out this weekend. I usually tape the last weekend in February or first weekend in March but looks like it might be sooner this year.

dew042
02-07-2023, 09:45 AM
Not entirely ready, next week looks promising up Mille Lacs way. Probably drop a few taps on Sunday on the river adjacent silver maples. Debuting a Smoky Lake StarCat this year. Still working on a wheel/leveling system yet this week.

SDdave
02-07-2023, 12:25 PM
Getting excited here as well! I've been rationing out my rapidly diminishing stock pile and have put the word out for those who want a bottle or two to help line up some trees. Lots of snow pack yet (about 2' ?) with a nice layer of ice mid way down. Under all that I can almost dig up the sod, so no to little frost. Will that mean a faster start and an early finish to the season? However, the local weather guy is predicting a longer cooler snowier March to end of April. Time will tell I suppose.

SDdave

sweet acer
02-08-2023, 02:30 PM
North of Marcell Even tho it's 40 today i think it will be the second week in March before I put the taps out. In previous years I would be chomping the bit to get things ready so that I could boil tommorrow. So now after kepping records for years I predict that it is just too early. Last fall we redid our 3/16 lines and drops so all we have to is drill and tap the trees. There still lots of snow in the woods. Last week i did manage to break a snowmobile trail to the ends of 4 of our 6 lines. After we get some cold weather I wil ldo it again. Then we will. put on the snowshoes and break a trail to each tree. THAT'S WHEN THE FUN BEGINS.

Lonepine
02-08-2023, 11:44 PM
I'm located in Mora , mn. This warm spell has me itching to get out and drill a few trees. However I know it's to early from experience... We are bound to have another cool down and at least another decent snow event.

Greenfin
02-09-2023, 07:57 AM
Well, judging by the 5 posts and 350 views many are coming to see if guys are tapping. It would seem most are not taking the early season bait. My rational for not taping is the extended cold that looks to settle back in next Wednesday and not wanting to leave my bags flapping in the wind for two weeks.

Also I remember reading somewhere about a guy who had a friend that said after six weeks a non-vacuumed tap hole will start to seal up regardless of the freeze thaw conditions. And late March, early April has been good the past few years around Rochester and I don't want to lose out on that.

All that said it still feels weird not taping right now.

dew042
02-09-2023, 09:18 AM
Well, judging by the 5 posts and 350 views many are coming to see if guys are tapping. It would seem most are not taking the early season bait.

Predictions just keep going up - five 35f+ degree days now forecast Saturday-Wednesday up by me. I find it hard to believe my silver maples on the river are not going to be awake, especially with a warmer than usual winter. Heck I had small portion of open water on the river all winter. I'm going to tap a handful.

Greenfin
02-09-2023, 09:58 AM
Predictions just keep going up - five 35f+ degree days now forecast Saturday-Wednesday up by me. I find it hard to believe my silver maples on the river are not going to be awake, especially with a warmer than usual winter. Heck I had small portion of open water on the river all winter. I'm going to tap a handful.

It will be interesting to hear what you get.

dew042
02-09-2023, 11:51 AM
It will be interesting to hear what you get.

Probably nothing, lol.

berkshires
02-09-2023, 12:20 PM
Well, judging by the 5 posts and 350 views many are coming to see if guys are tapping.

I've been one of those 350 views. Been lurking and not posting. Guy I work with lives in Apple Valley, and this will be his first year, so I'm keeping an eye on this thread to help guide him as to when it's time to put drill to wood.

GO

ChaskaSap
02-10-2023, 08:28 AM
The weather forecast here in Chaska looks promising for only 4 days, then the bottom drops out for a least 2 weeks. As much as I'm itching to get out there, I'm not going to take the bait be waiting for a more sustained period of warmth. Although interested to see if the trees start working their magic this week.

Bombadil
02-11-2023, 11:24 AM
Hello, I have one tree, in my backyard that is always the first to run... its dripping like crazy today. My other silvers are in the back 20 and they are always behind my early tree. Looking at the upcoming weather, it looks to be getting cold again. I not sure I will put taps in just yet.

Keitha333
02-12-2023, 06:46 AM
Hey Guys! I have not tapped yet simply because I do not have the time currently. Reading these posts is about as close I will get for a couple more weeks then things open up for time. Best of luck to everyone and I hope those of you that have put some taps in get some full buckets. Thanks for posting everyone!

ChaskaSap
02-13-2023, 11:40 AM
I put in 4 taps to test and all 4 are starting to drip. Slowly but they are dripping.

deerhut
02-13-2023, 01:00 PM
Just started to see sap from a broken twig by Winsted. Feels a bit early in my opinion.

tpathoulas
02-13-2023, 07:35 PM
I'm located in southern MN. With the warm weather this past weekend I couldn't resist getting out and put in about 140 taps all on 3/16 tubing. A few trees were weeping on Saturday, more on Sunday. As I was setting my collection barrels a couple of my tubings were actually running slowly. I expect a little mini run today and tomorrow then we're back in the cold. I'll check things this weekend and maybe cook what I have, if I can get it out of the barrels. The extended forecast doesn't look good to maintain a flow so I'm planning on the normal March sap run.
Fingers crossed for a good year

Woods Wanderer
02-17-2023, 11:32 AM
Located on the south side of Mille Lacs here; I ended up putting all my taps out last week. I know it's early but just in case its a super early or long season like last year i didn't want to miss out. All of my trees are awake save a few, but its definitely looking like it'll be a week or 2 before it really starts going. I had a really good year last year, and it started very similar to this year (early and lots of refreezes):)

dew042
02-17-2023, 05:10 PM
All of my trees are awake save a few

Sugar maples? Silvers?

Still too much snow last weekend for me, I was gung-ho, but reality set in. That, and my UTV got stuck instantly. The snow really sticks around in the denser woods along the Rum River. Right now I'm planning to tap the first week of March.

Woods Wanderer
02-18-2023, 04:24 AM
I just tap the sugars; I have a buddy near onamia closer to the river that taps silvers and he's in the same boat as me atm (they're dripping, but slowly). I tap on a big southeast facing slope in the woods where the trees get lots of sun, and it's not uncommon for them to start fairly early here every year. The snow is really deep here too, I just snowshoe it until it's more manageable. Spring fever got the best of me otherwise I usually wait until march as well, I don't expect them to pick up and really start going for a couple weeks yet.

Keitha333
02-20-2023, 10:23 AM
Each time I look at the long range I wait for it to be favorable but as of now looks to remain cold in the first week of March not to mention this storm coming and the active pattern after it. It may be a few more weeks fellas!

Keitha333
02-26-2023, 01:22 PM
Still looking like a week or two out....I hate to say but that works for me, however don't get me wrong I would take it any day we can get it!

Greenfin
02-28-2023, 02:37 PM
I am thinking about taping Friday night after work. Is anybody else going to try to catch this two days 40+ weather here in Rochester?

tpathoulas
02-28-2023, 07:21 PM
I'm intrigued, what is cold shock gravity filtering? I'm always trying to improve my filter process and will try almost everything.
Thanks

P.S. I've been tapped for two weeks and have frozen sap in my barrels. Looking forward to hopefully making it out to my sugarbush this weekend, if enough snow has melted.

Bombadil
03-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Going to put in test taps on Saturday... outlook for the next week or so, is still below freezing for the highs. Could be a fast season at the end of March.

Greenfin
03-04-2023, 08:55 AM
I'm intrigued, what is cold shock gravity filtering?
It’s a process where I attempt to cool finished syrup quickly in an attempt to get the solids and minerals out Faster than simply letting it sit for a few days. Right now I’m not seeing any difference.

Greenfin
03-04-2023, 09:02 AM
I put in approximately 50 taps last night. The only trees that weren’t running really well. We’re on the north side of houses where the sun can’t reach them. I would say here in Rochester I missed a nice little run.

The forecast here does not look promising for the next two weeks. It looks like it’s shaping up to be a 3 1/2 week season.

For those who have been tapping for a long time here in Minnesota, how late have seasons gone in the past?

Jeeves
03-04-2023, 11:34 AM
I have records for the U of MN Landscape Arboretum maple program going back to 1983. The earliest start to a season for them was 2017 when they started on Feb 20 and ended on Mar 30. The latest start to a season was in 2013 when the season started Mar 29 and ended on Apr 29. Both were excellent yielding years for them.

BigPine
03-04-2023, 04:52 PM
I have records for the U of MN Landscape Arboretum maple program going back to 1983. The earliest start to a season for them was 2017 when they started on Feb 20 and ended on Mar 30. The latest start to a season was in 2013 when the season started Mar 29 and ended on Apr 29. Both were excellent yielding years for them.

Great info - thanks.

Greenfin
03-06-2023, 06:24 PM
I collected 70 gallons of sap last night from 75 trees. 20% of the trees still have nothing.

ChaskaSap
03-07-2023, 12:23 PM
The sap is flowing really well now. Got nearly 40 gallons over the last couple of days and as of noon all trees are dripping with most of them turned on full bore! Kinda surprising really didn't expect it....

Keitha333
03-07-2023, 05:16 PM
I guess I am behind and don't have a single tree tapped! Wondering if anyone in the Milaca area or central Mn region is seeing any sort of run?

dew042
03-07-2023, 08:42 PM
I guess I am behind and don't have a single tree tapped! Wondering if anyone in the Milaca area or central Mn region is seeing any sort of run?

Haven't tried. Snow too deep. At this point I'm resigned to wait until the weekend of the 18th to tap. That following week looks perfecto.

ChaskaSap
03-08-2023, 02:12 PM
Don't know why but these last few days have been the best my trees have ever dripped out. I have my 100 gallons in 3 days......done collecting. Boiling on Saturday.

Keitha333
03-08-2023, 04:48 PM
This is very interesting to me...ChaskaSap. Do you know what your high/low temps were? Makes me think I should have tapped!

BigPine
03-09-2023, 07:30 AM
Just north of Garrison - we are in a different hemisphere than southern Minnesota - lol. But sometimes it seems like it. I have not set any taps and guessing AT LEAST another 5 days.

Keitha333
03-09-2023, 05:03 PM
Seems like it! A guy in the Isanti area has had taps out for the past week and only has a a couple gallons. I will tap Sunday even though the long range does not look favorable other than a few days late next week. I have a feeling they may run a bit.

dew042
03-12-2023, 03:11 PM
More snow Thursday? **sigh**

Keitha333
03-12-2023, 06:57 PM
I tapped 50 trees today in the snow. Odd thing was that even though it only got to 30 degrees some of the holes were saturated before I got the tap in after I drilled. Never expected that at that temp. Maybe a run late in the week.

Greenfin
03-12-2023, 09:54 PM
We had some pretty cold temps here in Rochester for the past few days 33 and 32 respectively. Both days this app ran and got about a half gallon each.

ChaskaSap
03-16-2023, 09:34 AM
This is very interesting to me...ChaskaSap. Do you know what your high/low temps were? Makes me think I should have tapped!

Hi Keitha333
It's been a strange year, they flow when I wouldn't expect it. I've had them flowing on Tuesday when the temp was only 33.

For the most part around 36ish is when I see them going. Yesterday and today has been the bumper crop with the high of 41 yesterday and low of 35. I just pulled my bags off this morning after collecting 35 gallons last night before dark and this morning another 55. I collected 300 gallons for the season and now calling it quits.

Keitha333
03-16-2023, 06:30 PM
Hi Keitha333
It's been a strange year, they flow when I wouldn't expect it.
This was true for me today, I wanted to make sure everything was ready for the wind and low and behold there was 10 gallons there....it's a start. Will be a few days until I get more I imagine but it's a start.

Keitha333
03-20-2023, 07:24 AM
This weather pattern of cool temps just won't bust! I put in 15 more taps for a total of 65 just in case it is a quick season. My fear is when it the pattern turns it's going to turn quick. I could put in another 15 but I would have to carry pails a lot further. Hoping not to!

Chris St
03-20-2023, 08:50 AM
I put 50 taps in yesterday and a handful were wet. Seems to be just starting here. The snow depth was crazy though. I’m 5’8” and it was up to my pockets! I’m 25 miles SW of Duluth.

WRAcres
03-22-2023, 11:32 AM
Put in 50 taps this weekend, all bags. Nothing was running. Most are younger trees and all are deep in the woods, so some good snowshoeing. Hoping that there's a little drip before the weekend.

ThiefCatcher
03-22-2023, 12:34 PM
I put in about 60 taps yesterday south of Hutchinson. A few were dripping slowly, but most were only wet. Trekking through the snow was quite the workout, with depths ranging from a few inches to 3.5 feet in some drifted areas. I'm hoping the trees let loose soon.

Bombadil
03-24-2023, 01:46 PM
Its been slow, took nearly a week and 1/2 to get 40 gallons out of 40 trees. Hoping it starts to run better the rest of this week. The weather looks good for it.

BigPine
03-25-2023, 08:25 AM
I'm digging holes and putting my buckets out, but not planning to tap for another 5-6 days. I only tap 100, so I can wait. Based on what are in the bags that are out around here, I haven't missed anything.
4 miles north of Garrison.

dew042
03-25-2023, 09:02 PM
I'm digging holes and putting my buckets out, but not planning to tap for another 5-6 days. I only tap 100, so I can wait. Based on what are in the bags that are out around here, I haven't missed anything.
4 miles north of Garrison.

Pretty much what I found today south of Milaca. Via snowshoes and a sled, wet holes on black, silver and red maples, with slow flow. I tend to think its still early. 2-3ft snow-pack still and a another cold patch midweek, then its showtime.

Schnep's
03-26-2023, 11:37 AM
Put out 60 of 100 taps. Only the ones in the yard are running.some in the woods are slowly starting. Waiting for warmer weather I did notice that there is no frost under all the snow.

ThiefCatcher
03-26-2023, 04:16 PM
I checked my buckets today, after putting in 60 taps on Tuesday. There was only about 8 gallons total of frozen sap. More waiting.

Keitha333
03-29-2023, 06:36 AM
Yes it has been slow, the little sap I have I will boil this weekend hoping to get a gallon of syrup. The high winds should make it a chilly one Saturday. Early and late next week look hopeful.

Keitha333
04-03-2023, 06:22 AM
The long range does not look good for me here in central MN...Maybe a few days in the next week where we may get a short run but now too warm of a long range. Hopefully all the remaining snowpack can push those evening lows a few degrees colder than what they are saying. This is what I was hoping wouldn't happen. I guess we will have to ride it out....

dew042
04-03-2023, 09:16 AM
The long range does not look good for me here in central MN...Maybe a few days in the next week where we may get a short run but now too warm of a long range. Hopefully all the remaining snowpack can push those evening lows a few degrees colder than what they are saying. This is what I was hoping wouldn't happen. I guess we will have to ride it out....

Disaster all around. Sap flowed well as the beginning of last week, barely going again yesterday after the cold snap. Season over by EOW if the weather forecast holds. Very disappointing. My trees have barely woken up. I guess I'll tap as many trees as I can on Thursday to catch that last push.

It was a beautiful day yesterday, so at least we got that.

Chris St
04-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Only about 20 gallons on 50 taps since the 20th. Weather is just not cooperating. Hopefully after this storm comes through the temps level out and get a nice run. Still have mid thigh snow in the woods off my trails 4 miles SW of Wrenshall. Hopefully that will keep the night lows lower than what the forecast says next week.

Keitha333
04-03-2023, 06:54 PM
I was hoping for a good run today but it didn't pan out only four gallons. Odd thing was a friend of mine a mile south had full buckets on most of his trees. Said it was his best day ever. He taps Sugars and I tap Silvers....significant difference which is interesting.

BigPine
04-03-2023, 08:17 PM
NW corner of Mille Lacs - only 1/2 tapped. 50 tapped with only 2 on buckers - the rest just dripping - not much sap. Will tap another 50 and get the drop lines in the buckets (already dug in) in the next couple days. I'm watching closely and have not missed much.
Still 2 ' of snow. Looking at my records, this late start stuff has produced the most in the past for me. This weekend could turn things on.

WRAcres
04-05-2023, 12:38 PM
50 taps on bags the last 2 weeks and only 2 quarts of sap so far. About 8 miles north of Duluth. Probably my fault for doubling the number of taps, building a new evaporator and RO system. I'm sure that just ticked off the maple sap gods...

Keitha333
04-06-2023, 07:56 AM
Wondering if people are going to leave taps in the lower 2/3 of the state with the prolonged warm-up coming? I almost feel like I have to in hopes the forecast is wrong since the sap output has been so minimal here.

buck3m
04-06-2023, 02:43 PM
Wondering if people are going to leave taps in the lower 2/3 of the state with the prolonged warm-up coming? I almost feel like I have to in hopes the forecast is wrong since the sap output has been so minimal here.

Sometimes the weather can fool a person. Seems like it would be a good bet to leave them in until the show is definitely over.

dew042
04-06-2023, 08:32 PM

Tuesday-Friday's forecast show two high 60's and two 70's highs and mid-40s lows south of Mille Lacs. I'm not seeing it.

I'm planning on Tuesday being the last day of the season. I tapped another 20 trees today to catch the last few days. Most had sap running

Keitha333
04-06-2023, 09:01 PM
Tuesday-Friday's forecast show two high 60's and two 70's highs and mid-40s lows south of Mille Lacs. I'm not seeing it.

I'm planning on Tuesday being the last day of the season. I tapped another 20 trees today to catch the last few days. Most had sap running

That's what I see too from Tuesday through the 22 of April low's in the upper 30's low 40's. I am in Milaca. As recommended in the previous post to the one above I think I will leave them in since there is nothing to lose at least until later next week and then see if anything long range changes. Might have to anyways if the temps stay high as I am sure the Rum will flood where I have the trees tapped and won't be able to get at them!

tpathoulas
04-06-2023, 10:08 PM
After planning to be done for the year, I decided to stick it out for one last sap run. I collected about 130 gallons of sap today and dumped another 50 gallons on the ground that was stained or cloudy. I ran it through the RO today and will start the fire tomorrow morning, collect again in the afternoon and pull all the taps, as sap is going through the RO and cooking. If all goes well I'll make 8-10 gallons of syrup which will push the total over 30 gallons for the year.

JimSeyMN
04-11-2023, 05:20 PM
Here is South Haven, it has not been good, 50 taps, 60 gallons so far, it seems not worth firing up the evaporator; but I will tomorrow. . . .. Oh well. Better luck next year!

Keitha333
04-13-2023, 08:00 AM
I went and pulled my buckets Tuesday that were in low spots by the river and then the rest yesterday as it was coming up quick! I left my taps in the trees and maybe it will go down in time to possibly get a little this weekend during the cool down. What is going to be most interesting to me is if I do how the sap will be. All of the Silvers I tap had the flowers protruding out of the bud. Not the leaves yet. Never had the taps in at this point in the tree season so I'm curious.

dew042
04-13-2023, 10:42 AM
I went and pulled my buckets Tuesday that were in low spots by the river and then the rest yesterday as it was coming up quick! I left my taps in the trees and maybe it will go down in time to possibly get a little this weekend during the cool down. What is going to be most interesting to me is if I do how the sap will be. All of the Silvers I tap had the flowers protruding out of the bud. Not the leaves yet. Never had the taps in at this point in the tree season so I'm curious.

I see 28f low on Sunday. Is that enough to produce a run?

I pulled my buckets on Tuesday. Ended up with 6 gallons Saturday-Tuesday. Not a disaster, so I am pleased overall. Prefer a 6 week season next year though. By the EOD Tuesday a small stream was going across my flood plain on the Rum River, and there was plenty of snow left. High flood year likely.

BigPine
04-13-2023, 06:44 PM
NW Corner of Mille Lacs - Total 160 g on 84 taps - cooking tomorrow. We will see if it runs again ....

dew042
04-16-2023, 11:45 AM
Replaced my buckets on trees not underwater. I think there is another run in them with a 23F low tomorrow night. Hard to believe. I already matched last year's total, so this is all gravy.

Keitha333
04-16-2023, 01:43 PM
I pulled mine yesterday and washed everything since the river was still high where I tap and would have needed bags. Some of the tap were in waste deep water or better. Call it a year with 4.75 gallons a little under half of normal. Best of luck to those still going!! I wish i were you!

dew042
04-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Pretty heavy flow the last two days. Weekend is shaping up to potentially have some more. Finally some decent weather, and thank heavens for slow, grumpy black maples still groggy from winter's grasp. Low on sugar side of typical for me, but I'll take it!

BigPine
04-22-2023, 09:02 PM
Had been the worst year ever (2 g sap/tap), but that has turned around - collecting again tomorrow, could bring the year up to 5g per tap ..... Total 84 taps. NW corner of MIlle Lacs.

Keitha333
04-23-2023, 07:13 AM
Excellent! I was wondering how those of you who were still going were doing. My decision to pull taps proved to be a good decision for me as I would be flooded out the entire time from the Rum. zThen my sump went out so I have been busy pulling carpet matting and moving fans. Caught it earlier than later but did enough. Glad to hear you are being rewarded for your efforts!

dew042
04-23-2023, 09:11 PM
Excellent! I was wondering how those of you who were still going were doing. My decision to pull taps proved to be a good decision for me as I would be flooded out the entire time from the Rum.

Rum receded off my flood plain today. Bluff trees have been producing, not yet buddy. Trees still all over the place on output, low sugar. Very grumpy. One more boil Tuesday and I'm calling it.