PDA

View Full Version : Storage bin drain

DaveB
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I'd like to build some sap storage containers using some large storage bins, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to make a water tight drain on them. I tried fumbling around HD and Lowes looking at spigots, but I can't figure out how to make it water tight through the side of the bin.

I can drill an opening, fit the spigot through, but I have no way of threading a nut on the inside (no threads) to form a tight seal around the spigot. I would put a rubber washer on either side of the spigot if I could find a way to screw it closed tight.

Does any one know how I could do this or where I can find a spigot that has threading on the inside connection? I might have missed something...I'm not very mechanical!!

Dave

tuckermtn
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
you could try some of the plastic bucket spigots like the ones for home-brewing...they have two rubber grommets and a nut on the backside

http://www.beer-wine.com/category_page.asp?categoryid=108&sectionid=2
(half way down the page)

or something like http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Spigot-Water-Crock-Dispensers/dp/B000BARBGK

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Try Tractor Supply Co. They Should Have Them

Rich

Father & Son
01-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Also if you can find a Norwesco dealer in your area they have what is called a bulkhead fitting in different sizes that are used in their tanks. Here's the link

http://www.norwesco.com/

Tractor supply in our area carries Norwesco tanks along with some building supply and agricultural places.

Jim

Pete33Vt
01-29-2008, 03:27 AM
You could also try to use threaded nipple get one thats the size of your hole, make sure you have extra long threads then use your rubber to make a washer for each side then install your nuts and tighten down.Thats what i did on my feed take and it works great.

Maple Restoration
01-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Dave you could try a marine outlet and pick up the bilge pump hull fittings, I have made all my tanks and these work great at $2 to $6 a pop their cheap but work great.
Their made out of Teflon and don’t seem to split when frozen.

H. Walker
01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Try www.atkinsonmaple.com , they're called poly compression fittings. Atkinsons will ship to the U.S.

DaveB
01-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I appreciate the input.

I'm going to check some of them out and see what works the best.

Dave

brookledge
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM
dave
what you need is a bulkhead fitting. Most maple suppliers have them and they can be purchased at alot of other places. The way they work is you drill the hole in the tank(what ever type doesn't matter) and then insert the fitting in and then screw the other half on. It will give you instant pipe thread fitting that is vertually indistructive.
It will certainly be better than trying to thread the tank because most tanks are thin walled and wont be thick enough to support threads.
The bulkhead fitting will work great.
Keith

ibby458
02-01-2008, 06:55 AM
The trouble with most bulhead fittings is they protrude into the tank too much to allow good drainage. (At least those I've seen). A good farm supply store should have replacement drains for rubbermaid stock tanks. They fit flush on the inside. Worked great on my feed tank. A bit pricey, but it'll last a long time.

maple flats
02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
try this link http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&keyword=hull+bulkhead+fitting&x=0&y=0

JasonS
02-13-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm trying to come up with a better feed tank. I have a 300 gallon SS holding tank that I pump sap from to my temporary rubbermaid tote feed tank. Last year I put a bulkhead fitting on the tote and fed my preheater from that, however It was a pain to drian the tote completly. Also I would like something a bit more permament and easier to clean. Any Ideas? I am thinking of a rubbermaid stock tank, but I'm not sure if they drain completly? Also It needs to fit in a small area, it doesn't need to hold a great deal. The tote only held about 5-6 gallons, I have a float that tells the pump when to turn on/off. What do most small operators use? I have thought of raising my holding tank high enough to feed the evaporator, but I don't think it's feasible.
Thanks,
Jason

danno
02-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I'd prefer SS, but I use a 100 gallon galvenized stock tank. You can get them cheap at Agway or tractor supply. Just build a 2x4 frame for it and put it up in the air. My frame is not free standing. I box framed into one of the walls of my sugarhouse right behind the evap. Some stock tanks come with a side drain. If you want a bottom drain, drill a hole in the bottom and solder in a spiggot. I cover it with a $10 piece of metal roofing. You did say space is an issue, so don't know if that's do-able.

I must be very sound sensitive. Would drive me nuts if my pump kicked on every few minutes to fill a small feed tank. That's why I'm moving my forced air fan outside - to reduce noise. I do like your set up with the float controlling the pump.to

maplehound
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I use a 110gallon poly tank that I bought at tractor supply. I support it on a stand ment for a fuel tank, that I bought cheap off a local fuel dealer. I keepit outside and run a line through the wall into my sugar house. works great and I too keep a float switch on the tank to automatically keep the tank full.

super sappy
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
If you took a rubbermade stock tank. Drilled a 1" hole in the bottom. Attach from the underside a stainless threaded pipe floor flange. Use some stainless fender washers,Bolts, and a rubber gasket. Squeeze everything tight then nothing pokes up above the floor of the stock tank for complete draining. you can attach a 1" threaded whatever into the flange and I think it would be food grade. I did this on my old gathering barrel and it worked great and alwayse drained 100%. Cost about 20.00 for the parts from McMaster Carr. They have probabally gone up since then. ss