PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge?

maple flats
01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Somewhere in the past I have seen a poster of the title How Much Would You Charge? or something like that. It asks people what they would charge for maple syrup if they had to set up the sugar bush, drill the holes, tap the trees, string the tubing, climb the hills, haul the sap, buy the equipment, cut the wood, fire the evaporator etc, etc, etc. Have any of you seen this poster and does anyone have a pdf file of it they could post so I could get some printed or know where they could be obtained?
Dave

jemsklein
01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
i will try googling it

Fred Henderson
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Somewhere in the past I have seen a poster of the title How Much Would You Charge? or something like that. It asks people what they would charge for maple syrup if they had to set up the sugar bush, drill the holes, tap the trees, string the tubing, climb the hills, haul the sap, buy the equipment, cut the wood, fire the evaporator etc, etc, etc. Have any of you seen this poster and does anyone have a pdf file of it they could post so I could get some printed or know where they could be obtained?
Dave

I want several when they are done. Has anyone heard what the price will be for a gallon this year?

dhbiker1
01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=3003

go to post #5. It looks like that member had some copies.

maplekid
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
i charge a 1.00 for every gallon of sap it takes to produce that certain amount of syrup. does that sound like it would work?

Ahnohta
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I can think of much more to add such as:

It takes the whole family two days to wash, scrub and sanitize buckets, spouts, pans, tubing etc. to ensure a great product.

Dave Y
01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
jems,
set your price so it is the same for all grades. sell it by the qt or metric equivalent. make more$$$$

Bucket Head
01-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Mapleflat's,

I bought one of those poster's, several year's ago, from Reed Baker in Bainbridge N.Y. I do not know if he still has them or who might sell them now.

Steve

Brent
01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
here is one on What it takes to make maple syrup

http://www.bakersmaple.com/Order/List.asp?P=Related&S=Printed%20Items

Valley View Sugarhouse
01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Here is the poster I have..

THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE ONE GALLON OF
MAPLE SYRUP

It takes four maple trees, at least 40 years old, growing in the mountain “sugarbush” to yield enough sap in six weeks to produce one gallon of maple syrup.

It takes a “tapping crew” to climb the mountain in snow, lugging buckets, taps and a drill to tap the trees to make syrup.

It takes a “gathering crew” to climb the mountains daily during March and April to collect the dripping sap and haul it down to the “sugarhouse.”

It takes forty gallons of sap, boiled down in the “evaporator” to concentrate the sweet sap-water into one gallon of syrup.

It takes a four foot log, sawed, split, dried and burned in the raging fire in the “arch” under the evaporator for each gallon of syrup produced.

It takes 3 people to continually fire the arch, operate the evaporator and sterilize, filter, grade and pack each gallon of syrup.

It takes the entire sugarmaker’s family 1 week to wash the buckets, taps, and equipment for the fallowing year.

SO - if you had to climb the mountain, tap the trees, haul the sap, cut the wood, stoke the fires, pack the syrup, and clean the equipment, how much would you ask for a gallon of Pure Maple Syrup?

If enough people are interested I can have some printed and sell' and ship for what I have in them..

VT maple maker
01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Try this website, its for a Vermont poster but it might get you on the right track. I got this same poster for christmas this year. It came from the Morse Farm just outside of Montpelier.

www.vermontmaple.org

That is the website on the bottom of the poster, good luck!

Riverdale
01-29-2008, 07:25 AM
I had a co-worker complain to me about paying $14 for a quart last year. I found the words that are on the poster somewhere on the net, printed them out and left it on his desk.

Never heard another word of it....some people in our society are just so clueless to the work that goes into the products we produce, maple syrup to milk. milk comes from the store right? ...people think the same about maple syrup, comes right of out the tree ready for their pancakes.

I get a great feeling of satisfaction whenever I explain the process of sugaring to someone who was unfamiliar. It really opens their eyes.

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 07:29 AM
riverdale do you still have that poster if so can you email it to me jklein@nexicom.net

Riverdale
01-29-2008, 07:30 AM
James,

it may just be a MS Word document with the text on it, no special graphics. If I have it i'll pass it along.

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
sounds good

royalmaple
01-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the link, I just bought one of those posters. Neat thing to have in the sugarhouse.

Conversation piece anyway.

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 09:02 AM
well here is an anwer how much you would charge if the chinese are successful with growing sugar maples the price would be the same as corn syrup well i can't find the link know but i will

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 09:17 AM
found it here it is www.mortonarboretumphc.org/feature%20articles/Plant%20Selection/Tree%20Provenance%20July%2030,%202004.pdf

maple flats
01-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Valley View Sugarhouse, That is the one! Does anyone have a source for posters of this (see reply #10)? Or better a pdf file which I can print?

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
maple flat give me your email and i will email a copy to you

Brent
01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
If you want to get creative and may your own poster on your own printer,
check out the Avery Indoor Post Kit # 2701 www.avery.com

This lets you lay out an 18' x 24 Inch poster. The software slices it into 4 standard 8 1/2" x 11" pages. The kit comes with 2 of the 18" x 24" backer boards and you glue the 4 pages on it to make a full sized poster.

Great for safety notices, prices, and "why do you charge so much" posters in the sugar shack.

royalmaple
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Those posters are only 3 bucks on the website. I thought that was cheap enough. Now your gonna have to add a line in the poster to put in the cost of printing.

maple flats
01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
jemsklein, My email is dklish@earthlink.net Thanks
Dave

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
maple flats i just sent it

maple flats
01-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks, that is great.
Dave

jemsklein
01-30-2008, 08:19 AM
if any one else whants a copy of the poster shot me a pm with you email and i will send you a copy