PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 Runout

SkunkWorks
01-31-2023, 06:52 PM
One of the locations I tap has a 100' run-out over thorns and swamp with very little slope below a 200' hill. I tap on top of the hill, then run the 3/16 to a tank near the road after the run-out. Overall, sort of a hockey stick profile. The overall drop is fine, but production here is noticeably less than other locations.

Without the thorns and swamp I would be tempted to move the tank to avoid the frictional losses from the run-out.

Other suggestions?

Sincerely, stuck in the thorns.

SeanD
01-31-2023, 07:42 PM
You could try running a mainline from the base of the slope to the tank. You'll get your vac from your slope and your sap still makes it to the tank. I do something similar in one setup I have.

Pdiamond
02-01-2023, 08:38 PM
Sean, I have something similar coming up for this year. Would you use a 1" line - in this instance from the 3/16's down to the tank?

eustis22
02-02-2023, 06:01 AM
Do you need slope on the mainline? I will have a similar layout on my new bush up in Maine.

SeanD
02-02-2023, 06:20 AM
Yes, 3% is enough to get the sap where it is going. You can go with a lower slope, but sags become a bigger issue. If you start the mainline from higher on the hill, you can improve your slope. With a 100' run, you only need to be 3' higher (minimum) on the high end.

SeanD
02-02-2023, 07:21 AM
Sean, I have something similar coming up for this year. Would you use a 1" line - in this instance from the 3/16's down to the tank?

The size of the mainline will be determined by the number of taps on it. Is this under vacuum? The max taps for 3/4" line is something like 200 or 250 taps (just guessing without looking it up). A lot of people go with 1" irregardless just to make sure enough vac gets out to the end, but if your taps are way below those levels, 3/4" should do it. I have to take everything down each spring so 3/4" is as big as I will go.

This is a good resource I've been looking at recently:
https://projects.sare.org/wp-content/uploads/Tubing-Notebook-6th-edition-NESARE.pdf