PDA

View Full Version : How to Secure Evaporator Smokestack

OrangeAgain
01-21-2023, 02:47 PM
This season my evaporator will be mostly under a pipe-frame / tarp covered enclosure. The end with the stainless steel 10" stack pipe will be just outside the pipe-frame. The height of the stack pipe will be about 12' capped with a stack topper.

Is each section of the smokestack screwed to the connecting section?

What's the best way to secure the smokestack. Guide wires? Concentric Spacer Fins? ...?

GBS
01-25-2023, 11:26 AM
Yep - each section of smokestack gets screwed to the connecting section.

I have seen some folks use 2-3 guidewires anchored down to a hunk of concrete or other convenient immovable object(s). The stovepipe generally wants to stay put. You need to keep it from crashing down in a breeze, etc.

I'd like to hear what other clever ideas people have used to solve this.

maple flats
01-25-2023, 06:23 PM
My first year I had a vendor's type tent over my evaporator. I ran the stack at about a 20-25 degree slant so it was outside the tent area. I had each section of stack screwed to the next lower section and I then used 2 @1/2" emt tubes which were anchored to a deck railing and attached to the stack in an inverted V shape to support the stack. I only did that 1 season and I then built my sugarhouse before the next season.

OrangeAgain
01-26-2023, 08:50 AM
I just found a Smoky Lake Maple video titled Backyard Evaporator Set Up - Stack Pipe and Guy Support (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlY_DPJNus&t=4s). Very informative.