PDA

View Full Version : Repair wires

Paul VT
01-14-2023, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know of a online video that shows how to join high tensile wire ends using repair wire? Can probably figure it out but would like to watch it being done.
Thanks

OneLegJohn
01-15-2023, 08:36 AM
That sounds like a good video to make. We have a wire that needs repaired. As soon as I figure out how to do it myself!

ADK_XJ
01-15-2023, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know of a online video that shows how to join high tensile wire ends using repair wire? Can probably figure it out but would like to watch it being done.
Thanks I'm a total hack at it but this explains the technique when just using wire...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Y5SfLqQ4s

Alternatively, there's an item I've seen before called a Quick Splice and also another called a Gripple...

https://kencove.com/fence/quick-splices_detail_CWL1213.php?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts&gclid=CjwKCAiA5Y6eBhAbEiwA_2ZWIV0QnQV55jzRVOWRAsmd Jnm5mw8UW1qvZJ6nPoiE_1mi0qs4rPq07BoCcugQAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j882Z__ORcs

TapTapTap
01-15-2023, 07:31 PM
I use lots of gripples. They can be reused too if you can pull the wire all the way through. I also have one of these tools from tractor supply:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/wire%20twisting%20tool?

Ken

Paul VT
01-15-2023, 08:06 PM
I do like the gripples but trying to use supplies I have. Hired out main lines to be installed. They did a great job! Really like the repair wire. Can use it to make a neat connection to the next roll of wire. Picture below is how it is done at a end 22743

maple flats
01-15-2023, 10:06 PM
I used crimp connectors if I needed a repair. A crimp tool is available at TSC as well as the crimp sleeves. For a repair I added a section of additional high tensile wire, attached it using 2 crimp sleeves, then pulled it tight using a fence stretcher and then crimped the other end. If I could pull the repair section tight enough, I only used 2 crimp sleeves pulling using the fence stretcher then the crimp tool on the overlap. Most often method 2 was used, if too tight to stretch tight enough then method 1 was used.

Brian
01-16-2023, 06:24 AM
Glenn Goodrich ties a square knot in the high tensile wire to splice it and tapes the ends with electrical tape. Then when you pull the line tight, it tightens the knot. I have done this alot.

Kh7722
01-16-2023, 08:19 AM
I also use the braided splices, they are actually rated stronger than the wire itself and super easy to use. For the price you cant go wrong with the speed and efficiency of them.

Paul VT
01-16-2023, 05:58 PM
So how do you put them together?

Father & Son
01-16-2023, 07:08 PM
I’ve used the braided splices/ repair wires for years. A long time ago I made a copy of one of these wire grippers.

Using a wratchet strap on your end tree pull your high tensile tight leaving enough high tensile once things are tight to wrap around the end tree. You can get the wrap around the tree pretty tight by hand. Wrap half of the braided wire on the tail and wrap the other half on the wire once you go around the tree. Once in place side tie other trees to get your tension.

Kh7722
01-17-2023, 05:23 AM
So how do you put them together?

Each set come in two pieces about 2 feet long. Most mistakes are trying to use one piece. When connecting two wires as a splice make sure they dont touch ends keep a few inches apart. Braid or wrap one half of the wire splice around both ends of the mainline, the last wrap will be hard and it will “set” onto the wire. For the second half, you MUST start in the middle where the little paint marks are. Line up the paint marks and simply braid the splice outward to the ends until they set as well. Each half will braid in a separate direction. Once attached they will never come apart.
Hopefully that makes sense? If not maybe OneLegJohn can video it.

Paul VT
01-17-2023, 07:16 PM
Thank you all! Will attempt in next week or so. Talked to a guy today that said to search lineman wire repair connection. Haven’t had a chance yet.