PDA

View Full Version : Check Valve Spouts on Buckets?

Andy VT
01-06-2023, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have information or experience on the benefit (or detriment) of using CV spouts with buckets or bags or tubing drops into buckets? I've read the Proctor study on their benefit for their intended use in tubing systems, but assume the study didn't include anything about buckets. As an aside, can anyone explain why it is recommended to drill level when tapping with CV spouts (per the Leader website)? And as an aside to the aside, does everyone drill at a slight angle when using non-CV spouts or spiles?

fred
01-06-2023, 09:13 PM
straight hole always no matter what spout you use. if a cv is at the "downhill angle the ball will always be in the back and useless. personally think the cv is a waste of money. For the same price buy a zap bac and use for 3+ years.

fisheatingbagel
01-07-2023, 09:48 AM
I'm on buckets and agree there is little benefit to cv usage. This year I'm going to try zap bac with buckets and see how it works out. I'm using the stainless ring bucket holders.

TapTapTap
01-08-2023, 04:46 AM
If I were on buckets then I'd be all in on reusable SS spouts.
Ken

DrTimPerkins
01-09-2023, 12:22 PM
I'm on buckets and agree there is little benefit to cv usage. This year I'm going to try zap bac with buckets and see how it works out. I'm using the stainless ring bucket holders.

straight hole always no matter what spout you use. if a cv is at the "downhill angle the ball will always be in the back and useless. personally think the cv is a waste of money. For the same price buy a zap bac and use for 3+ years.

The CV spout was developed for vacuum, and we've never tested them on gravity. Steve Childs (Cornell) did however. Results (for gravity production) can be found here.

https://projects.sare.org/wp-content/uploads/Taphole-sanitation-results-over-time-5-16-tubing-NESARE.pdf

Drop/spout replacement ~100% improvement (that would be for the first yr only, it would drop 15-25% each year over the next few yrs until replaced again).
CV use ~44% improvement

As I recall, Zap Bac spouts (on gravity) did well the first year, ok the second, even less on the third. It should be noted that Steve would also run a stiff bristle brush through the Zap Bac spouts after use.

Steve has much more detailed records on this that he's presented at meetings, but I can't seem to put my hands on them immediately.